The Monterey County Clerk's office will be closed: Monday, December 24th, 2018; Tuesday, December 25th, 2018; and Tuesday, January 1st, 2019. We will be open Wednesday, December 26th, 2018 through and including Monday, December 31st, 2018 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Our regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. will resume on Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please note: Beginning November 18th, 2014 our office will be closed from 4-5pm once per quarter, on the third Tuesday of the following months: March, May, August and November.
Sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.
THE COUNTY CLERK HAS THE FOLLOWING BASIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Issues and registers marriage licenses
- Files fictitious business names, notary oaths of office, power of attorneys, surety bonds, and inventory statements, among other miscellaneous filings
- Files California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) documents
- Registers Professional Photocopiers, Process Servers, Unlawful Detainer Assistants, Legal Document Assistants, and Humane Officers
- Is the local filing official for the Fair Political Practice Commission in the notification, filing and reporting of certain Statements of Economic Interest
- Maintains a list of public rosters