HOW DO I?
10:00 AMMonterey County Collaborates
9:00 AMCiclovia Salinas
The best way to prevent Hepatitis A is through vaccination with the hepatitis A vaccine. Vaccination is recommended for all children, for travelers to certain countries, and for people at high risk for infection with the virus. Frequent handwashing with soap and warm water after using the bathroom, changing a diaper, or before preparing food can help prevent the spread of hepatitis A.
Hepatitis A vaccination is recommended for:
- All children at age 1 year
- Travelers to countries that have high rates of Hepatitis A including Mexico, Central and South America, Asia, and Africa.
- Family members or caregivers of a recent adoptee from countries where hepatitis A is common
- Men who have sexual contact with other men
- Users of injection and non-injection illegal drugs
- People with chronic (lifelong) liver diseases, such as hepatitis B or hepatitis C
- People who are treated with clotting-factor concentrates
- People who work with Hepatitis A infected animals or in a hepatitis A research laboratory