HOW DO I?
10:00 AMMonterey County Collaborates
Five Important Reasons to Vaccinate Your Child
You want to do what is best for your children. You know about the importance of car seats, baby gates and other ways to keep them safe. But, did you know that one of the best ways to protect your children is to make sure they have all of their vaccinations?
Illegal Grease Dump found on Lapis Road
On Thursday, April 12, 2017, a team from Monterey County Health Department’s Environmental Health Bureau responded to a report of two 55- gallon drums disposed on Lapis Road in Marina. It appears the drums contained kitchen grease and the contents had spilled onto the ground. The drums did not have lids. This may be the fourth such disposal of kitchen grease on Lapis Road.
Monterey County Announces Temporary Closure of Red Barn Flea Market
Effective the morning of April 15, 2018, the Red Barn Flea Market will be closed pending a hearing on Monterey County’s application for an appointment of a receiver, a neutral third party, to operate the flea market and bring the property into compliance with state law and County code. A hearing on that application is scheduled for April 27, 2018 in Monterey County Superior Court.
4/11/2018 1:01:00 PM
Special Events Waste Diversion for Monterey County
Each year, Monterey County hosts a number of events that draw large crowds from all over the world, including the world famous MotoGP and Sea Otter Classic. Recycling Services requires that all special events submit a diversion plan.
Recycling Services assists event organizers to develop and implement their diversion plans to ensure the proper disposal of waste and to maximize the recycling of materials used at these events. The team also collaborates with Monterey County Parks Department, the hauler, custodial services, event volunteers, event organizers, vendors, attendees, and other staff to identify ways to increase diversion at special events.
A large event is defined as:
- Serves an average of more than 2,000 individuals per day of operation, and
- Charges an admission price or is run by a local agency.
To find an upcoming special event, please visit Monterey County Parks Department Event Calendar:
(click on image to visit site)
Policies and Procedures
- AB 939- requires local jurisdictions to meet 50% waste diversion mandate
- AB 341- requires commercial businesses to implement recycling
- AB2176- (AB 2176, Montanez, Chapter 879, Statutes of 2004), the large venues and large events recycling law, requires large venue facilities and large events (as defined by Public Resources Code 42648 (b) and (c)) in each city and county to plan for solid waste reduction and upon request, report information regarding their waste reduction efforts to their local jurisdiction
- Special Events Recycling Manual (Coming Soon!)
- Sample Diversion Plan