HOW DO I?
8:00 AMAromas Clean Up
Performance management is the practice of actively using and applying administrative, program, and policy performance to improve the public’s health.
This practice involves the strategic use of performance measures and standards to establish performance targets and goals.i
Comparing actual efficiency, effectiveness, quality, and workload results to the established goals can help public health systems improve and save lives, serve more residents, and achieve better health outcomes.
Performance Measures for Health Department Bureaus
Performance management requires these steps:
- Goal setting
- Resource and operational planning
- Data collection, analysis, and reporting
- Applying results
- Monitoring and learning in a continuous manner.
Some of the ways performance management can positively influence a public health agency include:
- Increase efficiency and use cost savings to provide more services
- Increase effectiveness to gain better health outcomes
- Increase service quality increase consumer satisfaction
- Analyze workloads to reduce duplication of efforts and increase teamwork.
i Public Health Foundation for the Performance Management National Excellence Collaborative. (2003). From Silos to Systems: Using Performance Management to Improve Public Health Systems.