HOW DO I?
5:30 PMBoot Camp
8:00 AMSan Lucas Community Clean Up
Affordable Care Act and How to Enroll in Medi-Cal or Covered CA
The information below is meant to provide Monterey County residents with important information regarding the expansions occurring around health insurance coverage as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or ‘Obamacare’ in California.
Did you know?
- In California the health insurance portal for ACA is called “Covered California”.
- There are two insurance programs available to eligible Californians: Medi-Cal and insurance plans offered through the Health Benefits Exchange. Both are included in Covered CA.
- Individuals, depending on their income, can qualify for Medi-Cal Expansion at no cost to the individual. The reason why Medi-Cal has “expanded” is due to the fact that the eligibility requirements have changed and income ceilings have increased giving individuals and families an amplified opportunity to qualify for Medi-Cal. Use our brochure to determine if you qualify MC Health Services Flow Chart Pamphlet or in Spanish MC Health Services Flow Chart Pamphlet
- For those families with higher incomes, the Health Benefits Exchange has a set of insurance programs available at affordable rates. Information regarding the various insurance programs can be found on the Covered CA website: coveredca.com
- The Department of Social Services can assist Monterey County residents with questions about their eligibility for Medi-Cal or other insurance options. Individuals can call the CB Care Center: (866) 323-1953.
- The Monterey County Health Department is supporting Medi-Cal expansion with grant funds from the Department of Health Care Services which has created more opportunity for community-based Medi-Cal enrollment. Please call (831) 755-4572 for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it too late to enroll?
A: You can apply for Covered California at any time during the open enrollment period which is during the winter months. Check the Covered CA website for when open enrollment period starts and ends.
Q: How do people enroll?
A: You can apply online, by phone or by mail. You can also get in-person assistance completing your application. Covered California’s service center is experiencing high call and mail volumes, so the best way to begin the enrollment is to apply online or with in-person assistance.
Apply online at www.CoveredCA.com or go to the “Find Help near You” webpage at https://www.coveredca.com/enrollment-assistance/ to find in-person assistance. By applying on-line or with in-person help, you can be sure your application is complete. If applying with a paper application, make sure you pick a health plan when you apply and that you send it to Covered California.
Q: Where can people go if they want to sign up in person?
A: A list of certified Enrollment Counselors can be found on the Covered CA website. Questions can also be answered at the Department of Social Services (831) 755-4475 or the Monterey County Health Department (831) 755-4572.