HOW DO I?
10:00 AMMonterey County Collaborates
9:00 AMCiclovia Salinas
Cats' lives are saved by implementing the philosophy of "Community Cats."
Did you know?
- Monterey County Animal Services only has the ability to provide a live outcome for cats that come into our facility of 15-20%, comparable to most animal shelters - there just aren't enough adoptable cats, and people willing to adopt them, to decrease this dismal 80-85% euthanasia rate.
- Less than 2% of cats and owners will be reunited through our facility - this is true for other animal shelters as well. However, left in place, almost 66% of cats lost from home are found by waiting for the cat to return on their own.
- Feral or un-socialized outdoor cats cannot be safely adopted, but will endure increased stress and suffering while held at an animal shelter, in unfamiliar surroundings that they find frightening, with no hope of adoption.
- Removing feral or free-roaming un-owned cats does not get rid of the cats, because removing one animal increases the resources available and actually encourages new cats to move into the area or allows them to be more successful at reproducing.
What does this mean?
Bringing cats to the shelter IS NOT the best option for either the cat or members of the community.
- Leave the cat where it was found,
- Put up fliers in the area, and report the animal to the local shelter.
- Trap-Neuter-Release (TNR) feral or un-owned cats in your neighborhood
- If cats are a nuisance, use recommended cat deterrents
What to expect from Monterey County Animal Services…
- Pickup, impoundment, and treatment of STRAY cats in need of emergency treatment.
- Information on clinics and organizations for spay/neuter and trap-neuter-release information
- Information on cat deterrents and how to deal with nuisance cats
- Over the counter intake with completion of proper paperwork - fees may apply.
Trap Neuter Return General Information
Alley Cat Allies (Information Only)
The Cat Resource Center (Information Only)
Low Cost Feral Cat Spay/Neuter Programs
SPCA of Monterey County
- Sprinkle fresh citrus peels
- Plant or spread rue
Install Outdoor Cat Repellants
- CatStop Outdoor Cat Repellent
- Contech CatStop Ultrasonic Outdoor Cat Repellent