HOW DO I?
Monterey County Health Department - Vital Records
1270 Natividad Road
Salinas, CA 93906
Phone: (831) 755-4520
Fax: (831) 755-4943
Business Hours: Thursday, 9am - 12pm; 1pm - 4pm
By Appointment Only
Background: The Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program (MMICP) was established by the State of California following the passage of SB 420. MMICP requires counties to administer a voluntary card registration program that identifies medical marijuana patients. Patients can use the identification card as evidence that they have received a recommendation from their physician to use marijuana for medicinal purposes.
The card can assist law enforcement officials in determining whether individuals using marijuana meet the requirements of the Compassionate Use Act, which states that with the recommendation of a physician, a seriously ill patient may obtain and use marijuana for personal medical purposes. State cards MUST be renewed annually.
Monterey County is the local agent for the California Department of Public Health (CDPH); in order to be eligible for California’s Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program administered by the County of Monterey, a person must:
- Be a legal resident of Monterey County.
- Be 18 years or older, or if under 18, provide documentation proving that the minor is emancipated or approval by the minor’s parent or legal guardian.
- Have a serious medical condition, including AIDS, anorexia, arthritis, cachexia, cancer, chronic pain, glaucoma, migraine, persistent muscle spasm, seizures, or severe nausea. Eligible persons may have a chronic or persistent medical symptom that either substantially limits their ability to conduct one or more major life activities as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, or if not alleviated, a condition that may cause serious harm to the person’s safety, physical, or mental health.
- Possess a verifiable recommendation from a licensed physician indicating that medical marijuana is appropriate for your condition, or
- Be a caregiver whose patient meets the above four conditions.
You must apply for the Medical Marijuana Identification Card in person and provide all of the following:
- Completed application…see application link below (English and Spanish) .
- Recommendation from their physician stating that the patient has a serious medical condition and that medical use of marijuana would be appropriate. NO COPIES PLEASE - ORIGINALS ONLY
- Present a current government-issued photo ID (CA. ID or CA. Drivers License,U.S. Passport or Veteran’s Administration Card, etc.).
- Provide verification of Monterey County residence with a recent rental/mortgage receipt, phone or utility bill that includes a valid Monterey County address or residence.
- $116 fee. Verified applicants on Medi-Cal will be charged $58. Only money orders or cashiers’ check will be accepted for fee payment. Application fees are not refundable.
Once the application is completed, a digital photo of the applicant will be taken and the physician’s office will be contacted to verify the medical condition information provided. When all of your information is verified, your digital photo and required information will be electronically submitted to CDPH. Within five (5) business-days a state-issued Medical Marijuana Identification Card will be made available to the applicant. The applicant will be notified that the MMIC has been received; and needs to return (appointment only) to the Monterey County Health Department to assume custody of his/her MMIC.
Medical Marijuana Program Application/Renewal Form – DHS 9042 (English)
Medical Marijuana Program Application/Renewal Form – DHS 9042 (Spanish)
Written Documentation of Patient’s Medical Records – DHS 9044 (English)
Written Documentation of Patient’s Medical Records – DHS 9044 (Spanish)