Public Works & Facilities
1441 Schilling Place
Salinas, CA 93901
Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information on this website and all its documents, users are advised to contact applicable County Resource Management Agency staff before making project decisions and fee estimates.
Page Last Updated: July 13, 2018
Contact: Christine Poe, Management Analyst II 755-5399
During construction, commuters will experience delays and road closures. To receive text alerts messages about the project directly on your cell phone or electronic device, text Climbinglane to 888777. Stay updated on the construction efforts, changes in lanes affected by the work or additional impacts on the Road Conditions page, Facebook or Twitter.
Active construction: April 2018 through August 2018
The Highway 1 Climbing Lane Project will reduce traffic congestion in this area by creating an additional climbing lane for slow traffic from Rio Road to Carmel Valley Road where it will connect to an existing lane.
- Phase 1 (April through May): Construction area maps
Traffic flow shifts to east side of Highway 1 and south side of Rio Road. Excavation, grading, paving and drainage work to create new pavement and striping on south side of Rio Road; widening, new pavement and striping on east side of Highway 1.
- Phase 2 (June through August): Construction area maps
Traffic flow shifts to west side of Highway 1. Roadway excavation, grading, paving, drainage work. Activate new signals at Rio Road and at Carmel Valley Road.
Information Releases and Documents
- Project Update - Week of July 16
- Detour Update - 7/15 - 7/16
- Detour Map 7/15 - 7/16
- Project Update - Week of July 9
- Press Release - June 29, 2018
- Press Release - June 27, 2018
- Press Release - June 22, 2018
- Press Release - June 15, 2018
- Press Release - June 8, 2018
- Project Report
- Press Release - June 1, 2018
- Press Release - Memorial Weekend 2018
- Press Release - May 28, 2018
- Press Release - May 21, 2018
- Press Release - May 11, 2018
- Text Message Alerts Available For the Highway 1 Climbing Lane Project
- Highway 1 Climbing Lane Community Meeting Presentation - May 8, 2018
- Press Release - May 4, 2018
- Press Release - May 3, 2018
- Press Release - April 27, 2018
- Press Release - April 20, 2018
- Press Release - April 10, 2018
The Highway 1 Climbing Lane Project estimated construction cost of $7,575,220 is funded by various State, County and TAMC funds. Teichert Construction, from Sacramento, California, was awarded the construction contract for this project.