Monterey County offers streamlined permit processing for small solar photovoltaic (PV) systems (10kW AC or less) on rooftops of single family or duplex homes in compliance with the Solar Rights Act and AB 2188 (Chapter 521, Statues 2014). This includes utility interconnected PV systems as well as solar water heaters and solar pool heating systems.
Monterey County’s streamlined permitting process allows for the use of standard electrical plans and structural engineering criteria. This means that if your project conforms to our approved eligibility criteria and standard plans, no additional documentation is needed to receive your permit.
To get started, review the eligibility criteria, submittal requirements, standard plans and inspection guide that applies to the type of solar project you would like to pursue. Please note that the structural engineering criteria provided on this page applies to all small residential solar energy systems, including utility interconnected PV systems, solar water heaters and solar pool heating systems.
Once you have determined that your solar project meets our criteria for expedited review, please read through our submittal options to proceed. If your project does not qualify for expedited review, please visit the RMA Permit Center in person at Monterey County Government Administration Building, 168 W. Alisal St., 2nd Floor, Salinas, CA 93901. For any questions, contact the RMA Permit Center at (831) 755-5027.
Please note that the standard structural criteria apply to all types of expedited solar projects including utility interconnected PV, solar pool heating and solar water heaters.
Materials for Expedited PV
- Inspection Guide for PV Systems 1 and 2 Family Dwellings
Materials for Solar Pool Heating
Materials for Solar Water Heaters
- Eligibility Checklist for Solar Water Heaters
- Submittal Requirements for Solar Water Heaters
- Solar Water Heater Standard Plan
- Solar Water Heater Inspection Guide
1. Electronic Submittal
- Monterey County Resource Management Agency offers online permitting for expedited solar permits through Monterey County Citizen Access. Instructions and information about electronic submittals can be found on our Online Permit Information Page.
2. In Person
- Join the line for the Permit Center from home or schedule an appointment online via QLess Click here to join the line. Walk-in appointments are also available.
- Small residential rooftop solar PV permits are usually processed over-the-counter or within 1 business day. Please note that submittals brought in by 12 pm can usually be processed the same day. Submittals brought in after 12 pm will be processed the following business day.
- Permits not qualifying for expedited review will be processed according to our standard plan check timeline of 15 to 20 business days.