Area Agency on Aging
About UsThe Monterey County Area Agency on Aging (AAA) is part of a nationwide network of services designed to assist low-income residents as they age. Every local AAA determines the priorities in their area and then decides how to use limited resources to meets those needs. As a result, there can be big differences in AAAs across California and the United States.
The mission of the Monterey County AAA is to provide leadership in addressing issues that relate to older Monterey County residents; to develop community-based systems of care that provide services which support independence, and which protect the quality of life of older persons and persons with functional impairments; and to promote citizen involvement in the planning and delivery of services.
Current EventsUpcoming Events/Trainings
The AAA is looking for opportunities to coordinate Matter of Balance Classes for seniors in all areas of Monterey County. This nationally recognized and award winning program is designed to help seniors manage concerns about falling. Certainly falling is the #1 reason why seniors go to hospital emergency rooms but staying home is not the answer. There is a BETTER WAY where seniors do not have to limit their activities and includes a simple exercise routine designed to increase flexibility, strength, and endurance.
Call (831) 796-3530 if you are interested in hosting or attending a class!
- 2018 Community Responses to Elder Care Symposium: On September 15, 2018, approximately 130 individuals from non-profit agencies, government agencies, faith organizations and the community came together to identify issues and create solutions around the topic of elder care.
- Homeless Women on the Monterey Peninsula: Key Findings by the Community Foundation for Monterey County.
- Health in Housing: Exploring the Intersections between Housing and Health Care by CORE Center
for Outcomes Research and Education.
- A Shattered System: Reforming Long-Term Care in California by California Senate Select Committee
on Aging and Long Term Care.
Send us an email if you want this to happen in Monterey County.
Service Provider CornerWould you like to contract with the AAA to provide services to older adults?
- The AAA is part of Monterey County and works with the Contracts/Purchasing Office. The AAA looks for most contractors/vendors through a Request for Proposal process every 4 years.
Click Here to Find Out More
- The AAA operates under strict regulations and the Handbook provides general guidance on local policies and procedures.
Click Here to Review the Handbook
- There are many requirements of the AAA and subcontractors that provide services.
Click Here to Link to the California Department on Aging Website to Find Out More