November 4, 1954
Monterey County Flood Control and Water
Conservation District received water rights to the
Nacimiento Dam was constructed by
Monterey County Flood Control and Water Conservation
District Zone 2 at a cost of $7,000,000
April 2, 1958
• Nacimiento Lake filled due to
extremely wet winter and flowed 4.5 feet over its spillway.
• First couple of years there were no facilities, old roads
were used to launch boats.
• A small marina was constructed at the North Shore.
•A Fish and Game grant supplied funds to construct 2 launch
ramps, access roads and parking areas at the North and South
• A second concession was constructed at the South Shore. It
consisted of a store, marina and gas station. Flood control
operated the toll gates, campgrounds and boat patrol.
• The first crew of park employees was hired. They were
called “patrolmen” (Rangers) and “attendants” (Park Aides).