MONTEREY COUNTY ZONING
COASTAL IMPLEMENTATION PLAN - TITLE 20
20.48 – A DISTRICT
The purpose of this Chapter is to establish a district providing for some agricultural use of land while placing limits on the number of animals and intensity of agricultural uses in those areas which are not suitable by size, terrain, neighborhood uses or similar constraints for extensive agricultural use.
The regulations set forth in this Chapter shall apply in all districts which are combined "A" Districts in addition to the regulations of that district and shall be subject to the provisions of Chapter 20.62. However, if any of the regulations specified in this Chapter differ from any of the corresponding regulations specified in this Title for any district combined with an "A" District, then the provisions of this Chapter shall govern.
20.48.025 NONEXEMPT DEVELOPMENT.
The following list shall require a coastal development permit regardless of which category of allowed uses it falls into:
A. Development which will cause a Significant Environmental Impact;
B. Development within the Critical Viewshed as defined by Section 20.145.020.V (Big Sur);
C. Development on slopes of 30% or greater (25% in North County) except as provided for in Section 20.64.230 (C) (2) and (3);
E. Development within 100 feet of mapped or field identified environmentally sensitive habitats;
F. Development with positive archaeological reports;
G. Land divisions;
H. Development of new or expanded agricultural operations if 50% or more of the parcel has a slope of 10% or greater; or where the operation is to occur on soils with a high or very high erosion hazard potential, according to the Soil Conservation Service Soil Survey Manual.
20.48.030 PRINCIPAL USES ALLOWED.
1. All uses permitted in the respective district with which the "A" District is combined;
2. Animal husbandry and small livestock farming, provided, that not more than 1 horse, mule, cow, or steer or similar livestock shall be kept for each 20,000 square feet of area;
3. Crop farming, tree farming, viticulture and horticulture;
4. Stands for the sale of agricultural products grown on the premises having no permanent electricity, plumbing or paving;
5. Other uses of a similar character, density and intensity to those listed in this Section.
20.48.040 CONDITIONAL USES ALLOWED, COASTAL DEVELOPMENT PERMIT REQUIRED IN EACH CASE. (CHAPTER 20.70)
1. Other uses of a similar character, density and intensity to those listed in this Section;
2. Commercial kennels (ZA);
3. Riding academies (ZA);
4. Stands for the sale of agricultural products grown on the premises having permanent electricity, plumbing or paving.
20.48.050 SPECIAL SETBACKS AND DISTANCES BETWEEN STRUCTURES REQUIRED.
Barns, stables, chicken houses, or similar accessory structures, shall be not less than 50 feet from the front property line, nor less than 20 feet from any side or rear property lines, nor closer than 20 feet from any dwelling on the same or adjacent property.