MONTEREY COUNTY ZONING
COASTAL IMPLEMENTATION PLAN - TITLE 20
20.64 – SPECIAL REGULATIONS
20.64.070 REGULATIONS FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCES DURING THE CONSTRUCTION OF A DWELLING.
A. Purpose: The purpose of this Section is to establish the regulations whereby an owner or builder may reside on the building site during the course of actual construction of the first residence on a lot.
B. Applicability: The provisions of this Section are applicable in all zoning districts for the establishment of a temporary residence during the construction of the first residence on any lot.
C. Regulations: Recreational vehicles or mobilehomes may be used as a temporary residence during the course of actual construction of a single family dwelling subject to the following standards:
1. Only 1 temporary residence may be allowed on a lot.
2. No temporary residence may be allowed if other residences exist on the lot.
3. All building, health, public works or other required permits for the temporary residence must be obtained, all installations be completed, inspected and approved prior to occupancy of the temporary residence.
4. The use of the temporary residence may not begin until a building permit for the permanent residence is issued.
5. Actual construction on the permanent residence must start within 60 days of the issuance of the building permit for the residence or the use of the temporary residence must cease, the unit be vacated and be disconnected from all utilities until actual construction is started.
6. The use of the temporary residence must cease within 18 months of the date of issuance of the building permit for the permanent residence or occupancy of the permanent dwelling whichever occurs first. Upon cessation of the use, if the temporary residence is a mobilehome it must be removed from the property. If the temporary residence is a travel trailer, motorized recreational vehicle, fifth wheel unit, motorhome or similar recreational vehicle, the unit shall be disconnected from all utilities, but need not be removed from the property.
7. The temporary residence must be connected to a water source and sewage disposal facility approved by the Director of Environmental Health.
D. Any alteration, modification, extension, or amendment to the application of the provisions of this regulation shall require a Coastal Administrative Permit.