Fraud/Identity Theft

If someone is using your name and social security number to open fraudulent accounts, you are the victim of identity theft. The following information provides victims with information and resources to contact to minimize the damage. We encourage you to use Forms listed on the right side of this page for a fast and convenient method of reporting incidents to our office.

1. Keep a Log

Document conversations, including dates, names, and numbers. Confirm conversations in writing. Send correspondence by certified mail. Keep copies of all letters and documents.

2. Contact Credit Reporting Agencies

Immediately contact all the three credit reporting agencies, TRANSUNION, EQUIFAX, and EXPERIAN (formerly TRW) to report fraudulent use of your personal information:

TransUnion Fraud Victim Assistance Department
P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834
(800) 680-7289

Equifax Credit Consumer Fraud Division
P.O. Box 740256, Atlanta, GA 30374
(800) 525-6285

Experian’s National Consumer Assistance
P.O. Box 9530, Allen, TX 75013
(888) 397-3742

Report theft of your credit cards or numbers. Request a “fraud alert” be added to your credit file (this will require creditors to contact you at a verified telephone number or address to confirm validity of application). This will prohibit you from opening “instant accounts”. Ask how long the fraud alert is posted, and how to extend it if necessary.

Obtain copies of your credit report to monitor any inquiries or new fraudulent accounts. Confirm the names and telephone number of credit grantors for any fraudulent accounts. Request inquiries that have been generated from fraudulent accounts to be removed. Ask to notify those who have received your credit report in the last six months in order to alert them to the disputed information.

3. Contact Your Creditors

Contact all creditors immediately with whom your name has been used fraudulently, by phone and in writing. Obtain replacement cards with new account numbers when appropriate. Ask that old accounts be reported as “account closed at consumer’s request” (This is better than “card lost or stolen,” because when a statement is reported, it can be interpreted as blaming you for the loss). Carefully monitor mail and credit card bills for evidence of new fraudulent activity.

4. Get Legal Assistance

You may want to consult an attorney to determine legal action to take against creditors and/or credit bureaus if they are not cooperative in removing fraudulent entries from your credit report or if negligence is a factor. Call the local Bar Association to find an attorney who specializes in consumer law and the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

5. Handling Emotional Stress

Psychological counseling may help you deal with the stress and anxiety commonly experienced by victims.

Additional Fraudulent Activities You Should Report:

Stolen Checks

If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to your bank immediately. Consider putting stop payments on any outstanding checks and closing your accounts. When opening a new account, provide a secret password (not mother’s maiden name). Pick up new checks at the bank office rather than having them mailed to your home.

ATM Cards

If your ATM card is stolen or compromised, get a new card, account number, and password. Do not use the old password. When creating a new password, do not use the last four digits of your social security number or your birthday.

Suspicious Address Change

Notify the local Postmaster if you suspect an imposter has filed a change of your address or used mail to commit credit or bank fraud. Find out where fraudulent credit cards were sent. Notify the Postmaster for that address to forward your mail to your address.

Social Security

Call Social Security Administration (SSA) to report fraudulent use of your social security number. The SSA will only change it if you fit their victim criteria. Order a copy of your Earnings and Benefits Statement and check for accuracy.

Report Fraud: (800) 269-0271

Earnings & Benefits Statement: (800) 772-1213

Phone Charges

If your long distance calling card has been stolen or you discover fraudulent charges on your bill, cancel the account and open a new one. Provide a password to be used anytime the account is changed.

Drivers License

If someone is using your driver’s license number as identification, call Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see if another license was issued in your name. Put a fraud alert on your license, and request a new number. Fill out the DMV’s complaint form to begin the fraud investigation and send supporting documents with the form to the nearest DMV office.

Civil & Criminal Judgments

Identity theft victims are sometimes wrongfully accused of crimes committed by imposters. If a civil judgment has been entered in your name for actions taken by your imposter, contact law enforcement. Contact the Civil Court where the judgment was entered and report that you are a victim of identify theft. If you are wrongfully prosecuted for criminal charges, contact the State Department of Justice.

Download the Form to Report Fraud

Incident Report Forms:
Back to Forms page

The following forms are for you to save, print and fill out, then submit in person or by mail (instructions and/or mailing addresses are included with or on each form).

-License Plate Theft
-Fraud/Identity Theft

Note: These forms are in .pdf format, and Adobe Reader is required to view, save and print them.
(Get Adobe Reader free and learn more about it)