Monterey County Military & Veterans Affairs
MINUTES FROM MVAAC MEETING
March 14, 2012
Chair called meeting to order at 3:07 PM.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Members present: Sid Williams, Juan Sanchez, Ralph Villar, Frank Aguillon, Ronald Holland, James Bogan, Abel Quinones, Tom Davis.
Also present: Tom Griffin (VSO), Michael McFadden (Principal Office Assistant, MVAO).
Minutes from January 11, 2012, meeting were approved. Minutes from MVAAC Retreat February 25, 2012, were approved.
PUBLIC COMMENTS: None.
Report from the Chair: 1. The Chair introduced Dick Darvey from the Retired E-9 Association. He presented to Ron Holland a check for $500 for the upcoming Stand Down.
- Pending State & Federal Legislation (Abel Quinones): Mr. Quinones reminded us that Congress has until February 29 to approve Medicare as is or to change it.
- Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Update (James Bogan): Monterey Down made a presentation to Seaside City Council P.M. of March 13, 2012. There is still time to send a letter of support to Sam Farr’s office concerning the Veterans Cemetery in Monterey County, by March 15, 2012.
- VA Clinic (Charlie Eskridge): James Bogan reported that there are two different proposals being considered for the new V.A. clinic; He expects that a decision will be made within a month.
- Stand Down (Ron Holland): Mr. Holland gave an update on the status of the preparation for the upcoming Stand Down in June. Tom Griffin also reported on the progress made to-date.
- Veteran of the Year Program (Juan Sanchez): Mr. Sanchez has begun searching for a site for this year’s VOY program – several are under consideration. The preferred date is November 3 or 4, before the golf tournament on November 10, 2012.
- Military & Veterans Affairs Report (Tom Griffin): Mr. Griffin gave MVAAC a written report, and reviewed its main points verbally.
- By-Laws: Copies of the revised by-laws were distributed and reviewed. A copy of the old by- laws and a copy of the revised by-laws will be sent to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors by Mr. Griffin. The Chair appointed James Bogan as Secretary of MVAAC, and Ralph Villar as Parliamentarian of MVAAC
- VOY Process Revisions: Copies of the revised Veteran of the Year Policies and Procedures were distributed and reviewed. Under a motion from Ron Holland, and seconded by Juan Sanchez, MVAAC adopted the new VOY process revisions.
- Heroes Open Golf Tournament: This tournament will now be under the control of the United Veterans Council.
- UVC Website: The UVC website address is uvc-mc.com.
Commission Members’ Comments: Ralph Villar suggested that we look for a qualified woman for this Commission.
Meeting was adjourned at 3:57 P.M.
Next Meeting: May 9, 2012.
Respectfully Submitted by Tom Griffin, VSO, ex officio, Secretary
Prepared by Michael M. McFadden
Principal Office Assistant
Military and Veterans Affairs Office