Monterey County Military & Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission
MINUTES FROM MVAAC MEETING
May 9, 2012
Chair called meeting to order at 3:00 PM.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Members present: Sid Williams, Juan Sanchez, Ralph Villar, Frank Aguillon,
Ronald Holland, James Bogan, Dan Presser, Tom Davis, Richard Barratt.
Also present: Tom Griffin (VSO), Michael McFadden (Principal Office Assistant,
The minutes from the March 14, 2012 MVAAC meeting were unanimously approved.
( Frank Aguillon/Ron Holland)
PUBLIC COMMENTS: None.
Report from the Chair: Nothing in addition to the agenda items.
- Pending State & Federal Legislation (Abel Quinones): Mr. Quinones was absent.
Tom Griffin reported that the 9th Court of Appeals rejected the veterans’ suit
to force the VA to provide better care; the Court referred the action to
Congress. Mr. Presser reported that AB 1842 cleared the Appropriations Committee
on May 9, 2012, and a vote is anticipated during the week of May 14.
- Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Update (James Bogan): Mr. Bogan reported that
all progress is moving slowly.
- VA Clinic (Charlie Eskridge): Nothing new to report.
- Stand Down (Ron Holland): Mr. Holland distributed diagram of upcoming Stand
Down set-up, and reviewed the planning progress made so far. A logistics meeting
will be held on Saturday, May 12. He is looking for donations/discounts for
beverages (water and sodas). Press releases have gone out.
- Veteran of the Year Program (Juan Sanchez): Mr. Sanchez has considered three
sites: 1) Rodeo Ground Sports Center 2) The Elks Lodge 3) Rancho Cielo. A motion
was made by Ron Holland and seconded by Dan Presser, that Mr. Sanchez approach
the Elks Lodge to be our VOY event site. This was agreed upon by all present.
- Military & Veterans Affairs Report (Tom Griffin): Mr. Griffin presented a
written report, and reviewed its main points verbally.
Unfinished Business: Veteran of the Year Program
- Responsibilities of Commissioners – These were explained by Sid Williams.
- Nominations –By June 30, all nominations for VOY must be submitted. Currently
there are Two nominations. No late nominations will be accepted.
- Process – Commissioners asked to contact individuals who would be willing to
serve as MC or Speaker for the Ceremony.
- Heroes Open Golf Tournament: None reported.
- UVC Website: The UVC website address is uvc-mc.com.
Commission Members’ Comments: Frank Aguillon invited members of MVAAC to attend
Moss Landing Memorial Day celebration on May 28. James Bogan reported deaths of two veterans who were
activists for veterans’ issues. Mr. Bogan also encouraged all present to celebrate and support the
various Memorial Day events.
Meeting was adjourned at 4:25 P.M.
Next Meeting: July 11, 2012.
Respectfully Submitted by Tom Griffin, VSO, ex officio, Secretary
Prepared by Michael M. McFadden
Principal Office Assistant
Military and Veterans Affairs Office