Monterey County Military and Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission
Minutes of Meeting January 12, 2011
Juan Sanchez, Commission Chair, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm.
Members present: Juan Sanchez – Chair, Charlie Eskridge, Sid Williams – Vice Chair, Ralph Villar, Richard Barratt, Bruce Evans, Frank Aguillar, Ron Holland.
Members excused: Abel Quinones, Thomas Davis.
Quorum of members present for Commission business.
Minutes of last meeting, November 2010, were not available. Approval moved to next meeting.
Mr. Troyer (in the absence of the scheduled EDD representative) commented on homeless issues in the County, EDD resources available at 1Stop Shop, DSES, in Salinas.
Mr. Bogan requested he be appointed to the Commission to replace Jack Stewart who resigned in November 2010. Mr. Bogan also requested the VSO write a letter for the Commission’s signature to thank An McDowell for her service to the Cemetery Advisory Committee and other support work she has done over the years as Assemblyman Bill Monning’s representative to the Cemetery Advisory Committee; Bruce Evans seconded/approved unanimously.
Report from the Chair: Mr. Sanchez said that the holidays were good and he hoped all enjoyed the holidays as well.. He also commented that he was part of the interviews for the new VSO for the County, that there were 6 finalists/candidates interviewed, the panel had made its selection(s) and the results were to be announced at the appropriate time.
1. Legislation (Abel Quinones): None/Mr. Quinones excused absence.
2. Central Coast Veterans’ Cemetery (Ralph Villar): Nothing new to report/fund raising ongoing.
3. Veteran of the Year Program (Sid Williams): The final money results are to be reported when completed; Nov 12, 2011 is the proposed date for this year’s VOY function; Looking for nominations for a great speaker; seeking suggestions for Master of Ceremonies; Mr. Aguillon suggested to procure a speaker early – the sooner the better. Mr. Williams also introduced an updated/re-written version of the VOY program/guidelines including a newer version of the nomination form and asked Commission members to read and be prepared to discuss/make recommendations/finalize at the next meeting.
4. VA Clinic (Charlie Eskridge): No news.
5. VSO Report (Tom Griffin, Acting VSO): Presented information on the following subjects: Snapshot of California veteran Demographics, OEF KIA by State, VA Direct Deposit, VA Medical Van for Monterey County, Cp Lejune Water Contamination, Initial Gov. Brown CA State budget for Veteran Programs.
Old/Unfinished Business: None
- Election of Officers: Sid Williams was elected as the new chair for the Commission, and Juan Sanchez elected as the Vice-Chair.
- Richard Barratt was re-appointed by Supervisor Potter until 1/1/2014.
- EDD Presentation: EDD representative not present; Mr. Troyer presented on behalf of EDD (see above under Public Comments).
- Review of VOY Policies & Recommendations: See above comments under VOY.
- Stand Down: Mr. Troyer commented concerning his interest in the Stand Down (SD) scheduled for 6/2012. He is not in favor of the SD being scheduled so far out despite strong support for that timing from all members of the Commission as well as the SD Organizing Committee. He requested the SD be re-scheduled for the coming summer – the Commission discussed the issue and agreed to let the planned timings stand. Mr. Villar made a motion that the Commission support the SD, seconded by Mr. Eskridge, unanimous approval.
Sid Williams requested that any changes to the Commission roster be submitted to Ms. Jenn San, VSO office.
Respectfully submitted by Tom Griffin, Acting VSO, ex officio, Secretary.