Monterey County Military and Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission
Minutes of Meeting March 9, 2011
Sid Williams, Commission Chair, called the meeting to order at 3:00 pm.
Members present: Sid Williams, Juan Sanchez, Richard Barratt, Bruce Evans, Ron Holland, Tom Davis, James Bogan, Frank Aguillar.
Members excused: Abel Quinones, Charlie Eskridge, Ralph Villar.
Quorum of members present for Commission business.
Minutes for meetings of November 10, 2010 and January 12, 2011, were approved.
Public comment: NONE
Unfinished Business: None
1. Some editorial changes were made to the By-Laws for the M&VAC to align meetings with the actual days they were being held and to make the by-Laws more readable.
- A major change was made to the By-Laws by deleting para III (b) which addresses the appointment of a secretary and parliamentarian: the Commission believes a parliamentarian is not needed and the secretarial functions are the VSO office’s tasks with the VSO acting as secretary. Change motion by Frank Aguillar/seconded by Ron Holland. Editorial and all changes motion by Frank Aguillar/seconded by Richard Barratt. Once the final amended By-Laws are completed, they will be sent to the Board of Supervisors for approval.
2. The Veteran of the Year (VOY) Program Policies/Procedures were also amended to align them with reality and make the process work smoother. The changes will be reflected when the updated Policies/Procedures are published. Changes motion by Frank Aguillar/seconded by Juan Sanchez.
3. The VOY Instruction sheet was also changed to reflect editorial fixes and smooth out the nomination process. These fixes will be reflected when the updated Instruction Sheet is published. Changes motion by Bruce Evans/seconded by Tom Davis.
4. The VOY (Process) Guidelines and Checklists was created by Sid Williams in order to present a written guide to follow for the VOY celebration and delineate responsibilities for task accomplishment. Motion to approve Richard Barratt/seconded Bruce Evans. The Commission commended Sid Williams for putting this guide together and thanked him for his work doing so as well as his efforts in all the issues addressed in New Business.
Commission Members Comments: None
Adjournment/Next meeting: May 11, 2011, at VTC.
Respectfully submitted by Tom Griffin, ex officio, Secretary.