Monterey County Military and Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission
Minutes of meeting May 9, 2007
Eddie Pedrozo, Commission Chair called the meeting to order at 3:10 pm.
Members present: Eddie Pedrozo, Chair, Frank Aguillon, Ralph (Norm) Channell, Bruce Evans, Jack Stewart, Abel Quinones and Ralph Villar
Members Excused: Charlie Eskridge
Members absent: Mack Jacobs, E.T. Price, (one vacancy)
Quorum of members present for Commission business.
Approval of Minutes of Prior Meeting: Minutes of meeting May 9, 2007 were mailed to the Advisory Commission members. Motion (Mr. Aguillion) and second (Mr. Villar) to accept the minutes as mailed. Motion carried.
Report From the Chair: Mr. Pedrozo appointed Mr. Quinones as Chair of the Legislative Committee. He also asked that any current committee chairs wishing to be replaced let him know. In addition, he made it clear that any statements made to the public, by Commission members, on behalf of the Commission, must be approved, in advance, by the Military & Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission as a body.
1. Legislation (Mr. Quinones): No report. Mr. Garza distributed a copy of all federal veteran related legislation of which he is aware.
2. Central Coast Veterans’ Cemetery (Mr. Channell): Mr. Channell noted that he is concerned about the delay in getting the rest of Cemetery Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) appointments made. He presented a draft letter from the Commission to theBoard of Supervisors urging them to make appointments so that CAC can get started on its mission. Mr. Garza noted that he had received a copy of an email indicating that the entire CAC will be in place by the end of the month. General discussion of the need to get the CAC in place and active in working plans for a State Veterans Cemetery, fund raising, etc.
3. Veteran of the Year (Mr. Quinones): Deadline for nominations is July 1, 2007. Discussion of criteria for Veteran of the Year selections.
4. VA Clinic (Mr. Eskridge): No report
5. VSO Report: (Mr. Garza): Written report distributed.
Old Business: None
1. County Veterans Employment Grant: Mr. Garza reported that the County Department of Social and Employment Services has received a $500,000 grant for employment assistance and training for recently discharged, disabled and other veterans with employment handicaps. Types of training include classroom (technical), on-the-job, and work experience.
2. Motion/second (Stewart/Villar) that a committee be appointed to review the County’s veterans hiring preference policy and report back to the Commission with any recommendations for proposed changes to the current policy. Motion carried. Mr. Pedrozo appointed Mr. Stewart and Mr. Villar to the committee. Mr. Garza offered to provide the recommendations for changes he had submitted to County Human Resources to Mr. Stewart and Mr. Villar.
May 9, 2007, 3:00 pm at VFW Post 811, 3131 Crescent Avenue, Marina.
Meeting adjourned at 4:30 pm
Respectfully submitted by Richard Garza, ex officio, Secretary.