MINUTES OF THE FORT ORD VETERAN’S CEMETERY CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Agricultural Center Conference Room
Agricultural Commissioners Office
1432 Abbott Street , Salinas
Monday, June 25, 2007
10:00 AM– 12:00 PM
- Committee Executive, Richard Garza , made opening remarks welcoming the
Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) members and visitors and explained, in part,
the purpose of the CAC. He then led the Pledge of Allegiance.
- The CAC members and others in attendance introduced
- Jim Cook offered remarks addressing background and organization of the CAC.
2. Review Bylaws
- Jack Stewart proposed a change to Article II of the by-laws adding
“Liaison with the Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Foundation ” to the CAC’s
Purpose and Duties, a change to Article III(2) clarifying the length of term
for CAC United Veterans Council representatives and a change to Article V(8)
authorizing reimbursement for travel (mileage) approved by the CAC.
- Norm Channell requested clarification of Article II (“Board of Directors
of the Agency”) and Article IV (terms of office beginning January 1st and
ending December 31st). He also noted a grammatical error in Article II
- Discussion and action on the proposed revisions was deferred until the
election of officers.
3. Election of Officers –
- Mr. Garza opened the floor to nominations for CAC Chair.
- James Bogan was nominated (Mr. Stewart) as Chair. No other nominations
were offered. Motion/second (Stewart/Villar) that nominations be closed and a
unanimous ballot be cast for James Bogan as Chair. Motion carried.
- Mr. Bogan then opened the floor for nominations for Vice-Chair.
- Norm Channell (Mr. Villar) was nominated as Vice-Chair. Mr. Channell
- Jack Stewart (Mr. Villar) was nominated as Vice-Chair. No other
nominations were offered. Motion/second (Aguillon/Villar) that nominations be
closed and a unanimous ballot be cast for Jack Stewart as Vice-Chair. Motion
4. The Chair called the meeting to order and a roll call of members was
- Present – Ralph Villar (District 1), Frank Aguillon (District 2), Leonard
Ortiz (District 3), James Bogan (District 4), Ralph “Norm” Channell (District
5), Jack Stewart (United Veterans Council). Ex officio – Steve Jorgensen
(California Department of Veterans Affairs), Eddie Pedrozo (Monterey County
Military & Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission ), Janet Parks (Central Coast
Veterans Cemetery Foundation ) , Pat Feore (for William Gourley, Ft. Ord
Retiree Council), Tom Mancini (Ft. Ord Reuse Authority), Barbara Nelson (City
of Seaside), Alec Arago (for Representative Sam Farr), Colleen Freeman (for
Assemblyman John Laird).
- Absent – Abel Quinones (United Veterans Council), Senator Abel Maldanado.
5. Public Comment
Sergeant Renegar (?) of the California National Guard Honor Guard
Program offered any assistance to the Committee he could provide.
Motion (Stewart)/second (Villar) that the changes to Articles II, and
III(2), V(8) as previously stated be recommended for approval. Motion carried.
7. Draft scope of work for the Master Development Program was distributed to
- Mr. Cook described the purpose of the draft scope of work and how it
interacts with the Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Endowment Fund established
by the State. He provided details of how the process would proceed, including
a consultant to address issues of land, us, land planning and fund
development. There was a discussion of the roe/purpose of a consultant. Mr.
Jorgensen addressed the VA’s State Cemetery Grant program and Mr. Arago
explained the State and federal process for establishing State Veterans
- There was additional discussion of the placement of the cemetery and the
difficulty in obtaining authorization to obtain the land currently reserved
for the cemetery project.
- Establishment of sub-committees and sub-committee assignments was
deferred until the CAC had an opportunity to review the draft scope of work.
- Ms. Parks asked about legislation to increase the amount reimbursed by
the federal government. Mr. Arago offered to report on this issue at the next
8. Meeting schedule and next meeting
The CAC decided to meet monthly on the 2nd Thursday of the month. The next
meeting will be Thursday, July 11, 2007 , from 1:00 to 3:00 pm at a location
to be determined.
9. Meeting was adjourned at 11:15 am