MINUTES OF THE FORT ORD VETERAN’S CEMETERY CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Public Health Department Conference Room
1200 Aguajito Road, Monterey
Thursday, September 13, 2007
1:00 PM– 3:00 PM
1. James Bogan, Chair, called the meeting to order Allegiance. Roll call of
members was conducted.
- Present – Ralph Villar (District 1), Frank Aguillon (District 2),
Leonard Ortiz (District 3), James Bogan (District 4), Ralph “Norm” Channell
(District 5), Abel Quinones (United Veterans Council), Jack Stewart (United
Veterans Council). Ex officio – Steve Jorgensen (California Department of
Veterans Affairs), Eddie Pedrozo (Monterey County Military & Veterans
Affairs Advisory Commission), Barbara Nelson (City of Seaside), Janet Parks
(Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Foundation), Tom Mancini (Ft. Ord Reuse
Authority), Bruce Evans (for William Gourley, Ft. Ord Retiree Council),
Brian Henderson (for Representative Sam Farr), Rito Guerra (for Senator Abel
- Excused – Colleen Freeman (for Assemblyman John Laird).
2. Public Comment –
- Joe Timor – His American Legion Post will not support the cemetery if
any of the land designated for it is sold. Are 100% of donations going
towards the cemetery? Mr. Garza – All donations to the State endowment
fund are required by law to go to the cost of a Veterans Cemetery at Ft.
Ord. Mr. Bogan – The funds raised by the Central Coast Veterans Cemetery
Foundation all go to the cemetery project.
3. Approval of minutes of meetings of July 12, 2007 and August 9, 2007 –
Motion (Mr. Quinones) and second to accept minutes as distributed. Motion
4. Sub-Committee Assignments:
- Federal, State and County Government liaison: Mr. Bogan, Mr. Stewart,
- Staff Working Group liaison: Mr. Bogan, Mr. Stewart, Mr. Channell
- Public Information/Media Relations: Mr. Garza
- County Veterans Organization liaison: Mr. Villar, Mr. Aguillon
- California Department of Veterans Affairs: Mr. Quinones, Mr. Ortiz, Mr.
- Adjoining County Veterans Organization liaison: Mr. Villar, Mr. Quinones
- Central Coast Veterans’ Cemetery Foundation liaison: Mr. Bogan , Mr.
5. Staff Working Group Report:
- Jim Cook gave a presentation on the Staff Working Group’s process in
evaluation responses to the Request for Proposal for the cemetery “scope of
work” master plan.
- Cordelia Hill, of Royston, Hanamoto, Alley and Abey, (RHAA), Landscape
Architects made a presentation in response to the RFP.
- How will consultant fees be funded? (Next item to be discussed.)
- How much will cemetery cost to construct? (Depends upon design)
- What veterans activities are planned for the cemetery? (Potentially,
gatherings on occasions such as Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Veterans
Day, etc., but any activities must be compatible with cemetery use. It
should be a place to honor all veterans, living and dead.)
- How much land is needed for the cemetery to meet the VA standards?
(Mr. Jorgensen: Riverside National Cemetery is 980 acres and performs
10,000 interments per year. The usable land at the Ft. Ord site would
last more than 100 years, given the veteran population of the projected
- Mr. Cook reported that the cost of the RHAA development plan proposal is
$191,000. The Chair will be sending letters to the local agencies of
jurisdiction requesting funding for this effort. Mr. Bogan stated that he
would personally deliver the letter to the FORA Board meeting on September
14. Mr. Channel: Who would collect money for the development plan?
(Consensus: Central Coast Veterans’ Cemetery Foundation.)
- Motion (Mr. Stewart) and second that the CAC go on record as requesting
that the Monterey County Board of Supervisors contribute one third of the
cost of the development plan. Motion carried with Mr. Channell opposed.
6. Mr. Garza announced that the Board of Supervisors had approved the revised
7. Prior to adjournment it was announced that Monterey City Councilmember Nancy
Selfridge was in attendance at the meeting. Meeting adjourned at 3:00 pm. Next
meeting October 11, 2007, Agricultural Center Conference Room, Agricultural
Commissioners Office, 1432 Abbott Street, Salinas, 1:00 – 3:00 pm