MINUTES OF THE
FORT ORD VETERAN’S
CEMETERY CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Marina Library Community Meeting Room
190 Seaside Circle, Marina
Thursday January 10, 2008
1:00 – 3:00 PM
· Chair James Bogan called the meeting to order and led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance. A roll call of members was conducted.
· Present – Ralph Villar (District 1), Frank Aguillon (District 2), Leonard Ortiz (District 3), James Bogan (District 4), Ralph “Norm” Channell (District 5), Abel Quinones (United Veterans Council), Jack Stewart (United Veterans Council).
Ex officio – Steve Jorgensen (California Department of Veterans Affairs), Eddie Pedrozo (Monterey County Military & Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission), Janet Parks (Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Foundation), Tom Mancini (Ft. Ord Reuse Authority), Bruce Evans (for William Gourley, Ft. Ord Retiree Council), Barbara Nelson ( City of Seaside),
Absent – Alec Arago (for Representative Sam Farr), Rito Guerra (for Senator Abel Maldonado), Colleen Freeman (for Assembly member John Laird)
2. Public Comment – There was a comment regarding the absence of an American flag in the meeting room and outside the library.
3. Approval of minutes of meeting December 13, 2007 – Motion (Mr. Aguillon) and second to accept minutes as distributed. Motion carried.
4. Report on the status of the funding agreement for the cemetery master development plan consultant contract – Kristina Richardi (RMA) reported that all details of the funding agreement between the County of Monterey and FORA have been worked out and that arrival of the agreement is on the Board of Directors agenda for January 29, 2008.
5. Report on activities of Local Government Liaison subcommittee – (Mr. Stewart) reported that subcommittee members had been schedule to attend a meeting of the Monterey County Mayors’ Association on January 4, but that extreme weather conditions and power outage forced cancellation of the meeting. He introduced Edith Johnsen as a member of the subcommittee.
6. Report on the contract with Royston, Hanamoto, Alley and Abey (RHAA) - Kristina Richardi (RMA) reported that RHAA is the firm selected to develop the master plan. Based on a request at the 12/13 CAC meeting, RMA proposed an amendment to the scope of work timeline to an earlier stage of the project. RHAA agreed to this change and the contract has been approved and finalized. Approval of the contract will be on the Board of Directors agenda on either January 29 or February 5. It was also requested that copies of the revised scope of work timeline be distributed to CAC members. Mr. Stewart expressed some concern about the time the process to get the agreement approved. It was suggested that CAC members contact their Board members to see if the issue can be considered by the Board at an earlier date.
Mr. Stewart thanked the public for their continued attendance at the CAC meetings.
Mr. Villar offered the services of his subcommittee to speak to local veterans’ service organizations about the status of the cemetery project.
7. Meeting adjourned at 1:45 pm. Next meeting is February 14, 2008 at a location to be determined.
Respectfully submitted by Richard F. Garza, Secretary, ex officio.