MINUTES OF THE FORT ORD VETERAN’S

CEMETERY CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE

Veterans Transition Center

(Martinez Hall)

220 12th Street, Marina

Thursday, April 30, 2009  

 

1.         Chair James Bogan called the meeting to order at 1:05 pm.

            A roll call of members was conducted.

Present – Ralph Villar (District 1), Frank Aguillon (District 2), Leonard Ortiz (District 3), James Bogan (District 4), Bill Nye (District 5), Abel Quinones (United Veterans Council), Jack Stewart (United Veterans Council).

Ex officio –Edith Johnsen, (Veterans’ Families), Tom Mancini (Ft. Ord Reuse Authority), Julian Chacon (representing Representative Sam Farr)

­Absent – (Stephen Jorgensen (California Department of Veterans Affairs), Eddie Pedrozo (Monterey County Military & Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission (excused), Bruce Evans (Ft. Ord Retiree Council), Janet Parks (Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Foundation), Barbara Nelson (City of Seaside), Amy Treadwell (representing Assemblymember Bill Monning)

No replacement for Rito Guerra has been named by Senator Maldonado.

 

2.         Public Comment –  Greg Nakamishi, Central Coast Hospice informed the CAC that veterans at the hospice would like to speak with other veterans.  Anyone interested in participating should contact DeAnna Young at 831 649 7732.

            Julian Chacon announced that VA will start to accept applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits on May 1, 2009.

3.                  Mr. Bogan reported on the activities of the Fund Raising Liaison Sub-Committee in regard to the May 14 – 25 fund raising drive.  A “media blitz” is scheduled to begin tomorrow (May 1).  The Central Coast Veterans’ Cemetery Foundation and the CAC Fund Raising Liaison Subcommittee need help in putting packages together to be mailed and are in need of new and updated veteran organization and other mailing lists.

Ms Johnsen: There is no master mailing list for veterans.  There is a list of names for corporate sponsors, but no addresses.  People are needed to look up addresses for the corporate list and to prepare the mailing to individuals.

Mr. Quinones: Doesn’t Congressman Farr have a list of veterans in his district?

Ms Johnsen: Can we use Congressman Farr’s list?

Mr. Chacon: Using his list in that way would be an ethics violation.

Mr. Nye: That list is not for fundraising by other groups.

Gordon Nakagawa: Some organizations are their on labels on CCVCF stuffed envelopes.  Is it possible for other organizations to do that?

Mr. Bogan: Yes, but for the lists we do have we need people to assist in putting the mailing together.

Mr. Nye: A list of all the registered voters in the County is available from the voter rolls.  CCVCF should get the voter roll for this purpose.  The CAC cannot because it does not have the authority to raise funds.

Mr. Bogan: When can a group come in just to stuff envelopes?

Mr. Nye: Will the CCVCF brochure go out in the mailing?  Can I take a list and envelopes home and do it there?

Mike O’Brien: It works better, more efficiently if it is done by a group.

Ms. Johnsen: Could we do this after the next subcommittee meeting at 3:00 pm on May 6.

Mr. Mancini: How about getting lists from the veterans’ service organizations?

Mr. Bogan: Those lists are confidential.

Charlie Eskridge: The American Legion will send material out regarding cemetery fund raising but will not give out the lists.

Mr. Garza: It also needs to be kept in mind that only about 10% of veterans belong to veterans’ groups.  A means of reaching the other 90% is needed

Mr. Aguillon:  I will bring information about a booth at the Artichoke Festival to the subcommittee meeting on May 6.

Meeting adjourned at 1:55 pm

Respectfully submitted by Richard F. Garza, Secretary, ex officio