MINUTES OF THE FORT ORD VETERAN’S
CEMETERY CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Thursday, February 11, 2010
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Marina Library Community Meeting Room
190 Seaside Circle, Marina
(Note – Due to technical problems, the recording of the February 11minutes were inadvertently destroyed before a copy was made. The following are a very fragmentary account of the meeting made from hand written notes.)
1. Chair James Bogan called the meeting to order at 1:00 pm.
A roll call of members was conducted.
Present – Ralph Villar (District 1), Leonard Ortiz (District 3), James Bogan (District 4), Bill Nye (District 5), Jack Stewart (United Veterans Council)
Ex officio – Stephen Jorgensen (California Department of Veterans Affairs), Tom Mancini (Ft. Ord Reuse Authority), Janet Parks (Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Foundation), Bruce Evans (Ft. Ord Retiree Council), Edith Johnsen (Veterans’ Families) Julian Chacon (representing Representative Sam Farr), An McDowell (representing Assemblymember Bill Monning), Rito Guerra (representing Senator Abel Maldonado).
Absent – Frank Aguillon (District 2), Abel Quinones (United Veterans Council) (excused), Juan Sanchez (Military & Veterans Affairs Advisory Commission) (excused), Barbara Nelson (City of Seaside).
2. Public Comment: None
3. Approval of minutes of January 14, 2010 meeting: Motion (Mr. Nye) and second to approve the minutes as distributed. Motion carried.
4. Mr. Mancini reported that the development process was still pending the authorization of an exclusive negotiating agreement between the City of Seaside and Monterey Peninsula College. Jim Cook reported that County action was pending action on the part of Seaside.
5. Updating current/pending legislation, Ms McDowell reported on Assemblyman Monning’s efforts to get the Military & Veterans Code amended to facilitate incremental activation of the cemetery project. Mr. Guerra reported on efforts to obtain a loan through a State infrastructure development program to assist with the cemetery design costs.
6. Edith Johnsen reported on the status of the event planned for March 11 to unveil the “future site” sign. SSG Baranovic commented on the National Guard Honor Guard’s support for the event and the cemetery project.
7. There was no report on upcoming media appearances.
8. Meeting adjourned at 2:00 pm. Next meeting: March 11, 2010, Marina Library, Community Room.
Respectfully submitted by Richard F. Garza, Secretary, ex officio.