MINUTES OF THE FORT ORD VETERAN’S
CEMETERY CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Thursday, September 9, 2010
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Marina Library Community Meeting Room
190 Seaside Circle, Marina
- James Bogan, Chair, called the meeting to order at
1:00 pm. A roll call of members was conducted.
Present – Ralph Villar (District
1), Leonard Ortiz (District 3), James Bogan (District 4), Bill
Nye (District 5), Jack Stewart (United Veterans Council), Abel
Quinonez (United Veterans Council)
Ex officio – Stephen Jorgensen (California
Department of Veterans Affairs), Juan Sanchez (Monterey County Military &
Veteran’s Advisory Commission), Clark Larson (City of Seaside),
Edith Johnsen (Veterans’ Families), Janet Parks (Central Coast
Veterans Cemetery Foundation), Tom Mancini (Ft. Ord Reuse Authority),
Julian Chacon (Representing Congressman Sam Farr)
Absent: Frank Aguillon (District
2), An McDowell (Representing Assemblymember Bill Monning), Bruce
Evans (Ft. Ord Retiree Council), No Representative present for 15th
- No Public Comment.
- Approval of minutes of August 12, 2010 meeting: Motion
(Mr. Stewart) and second (Mr. Nye) to approve the minutes.
- Julian Chacon reported that there were no
significant activities last month.
- An McDowell was not present. Tom Griffin
reported AB 1757 Monning Bill did get approved; on governor’s desk for
- Tom Mancini reported for City of Seaside –
Cemetery endowment parcel is still in negotiations with Horse Park. In
- Jonathan Garcia reported a FORA update of OA
grant. Received grant from DoD for planning work. FORA has set aside
$45,000. Compiling data - should be done by October. Soil testing for
roadway east side of cemetery. Approve MOU & now waiting on state budget
because state can’t start until state budget has been approved.
- Janet Parks reported meeting up with the
Steering Committee: back to ground zero- Horse Park is 6 years down the way
- $3.4 million is required, still trying to brainstorm ideas.
- Edith Johnsen reported sending out massive
emails. Stewart thanks everyone/non-committee members for their help.
- Meeting adjourned at 1:30 pm. Next meeting October 14th,
Respectfully submitted by Thomas
H. Griffin, Acting Secretary, ex officio.