MINUTES OF THE FORT ORD VETERAN’S
CEMETERY CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Veterans Transition Center Conference Room
220 12th Street, Marina
Thursday, November 18th, 2010
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
1. James Bogan, Chair, called the meeting to order at 1:15 pm. A roll call of members was conducted.
Present – Ralph Villar (District 1), Frank Aguillon (District 2), James Bogan (District 4), Abel Quinones (United Veterans Council), Jack Stewart (United Veterans Council)
Ex officio – Stephen Jorgensen (California Department of Veterans Affairs), Janet Parks (Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Foundation), An McDowell (Representing Assemblymember Bill Monning), David Meyerson (Senator Blakeslee, 15th District)
Absent: Juan Sanchez (Monterey County Military & Veteran’s Advisory Commission), Edith Johnsen (Veterans’ Families), Leonard Ortiz (District 3), Bill Nye (District 5), Clark Larson (City of Seaside), Bruce Evans (Ft. Ord Retiree Council), Julian Chacon (Representing Congressman Sam Farr), Tom Mancini (Ft. Ord Reuse Authority)
2. No Public Comment
3. Approval of minutes of October 14th, 2010 meeting: Motion (Quinones) and second (Stewart) to approve the minutes. Motion carried.
4. Steve Jorgenson, CDVA, suggested that the next objective be to conduct surveys to obtain quantified data extracting number of veterans each area is serving. For example, San Joaquin Valley, Sacramento County, etc. By doing so, one can increase the projected number of burials, reducing need for endowment fund.
5. An McDowell announced that this was her last meeting. Introduced new replacement, Nicole Charles. Ms. McDowell recognized everyone's hard work behind the scenes.
6. New State Senator Blakeslee’s representative to the CAC was introduced: David Meyerson.
7. Janet Parks reported that the Foundation hosted the Heroes' Open, was successful, and had a great number of volunteers. Most appreciative of the raffle gifts.
8. Jack Stewart gave an update from the Fundraising liaison subcommittee, reported that most of the money was made through the sponsoring of holes; veteran organizations sponsored many of the holes. Will have an after action report for future fundraising events.
9. Meeting adjourned at 2:15 pm. Next meeting December 9th, 2010, at Marina Library.
Respectfully submitted by Thomas H. Griffin, Acting Secretary, ex officio.