Monterey County Parks Limited Reopening for Trail Use, Walking, Hiking
In consultation with the Health Officer, some Monterey County parks are reopened with limited use in compliance with the Monterey County’s Shelter in Place Order and the State of California Covid-19 related orders. The County recognizes the importance of exercise and the benefits of outdoor recreation. We are also aware that all reasonable steps must be taken to limit the spread of Covid-19. Those steps include social/physical distancing and facial coverings when in public and medically appropriate.
This limited re-opening allows local residents to use the park’s regional trails for walking, hiking, equestrian, or biking with adherence to social/physical distancing protocols. Developed areas like picnic grounds, campgrounds, and playgrounds remain closed to avoid gatherings. Parking areas will be opened, but most park restrooms are closed (emergency only). Visitors are asked to pack out all trash/waste.
Each Monterey County Park has unique offerings, and generally provides open space amenities different from city parks. It is important to note that other county (regional) parks have been open for trail use since the County Shelter in Place Order was put in place, with the exception of Easter weekend. Most users have been complying with these orders.
The following is a list of County Parks, their status and what is available in each location:
- San Lorenzo Closed for general use, trails open along the Salinas River.Restrooms closed to public.
- Lake San AntonioSouth Shore: Open for trail use and fishing. Developed areas closed. Emergency restrooms only. Maximum 50 boats with up to four (4) persons from the same household per boat, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday only. North Shore: Open for trail use and shoreline fishing. Developed areas closed. Emergency restrooms only.
- Lake Nacimiento Open (starting Friday 5/8/20) for trail use and shoreline fishing, maximum 120 boats with up to four (4) persons from same household per boat. Developed area closed. Emergency restrooms only.
- ToroOpen for trail use only. Developed area closed. Emergency restrooms only.
- Jack’s PeakOpen for trail use only. Developed area closed. Emergency restrooms only.
- Royal OaksOpen for trail use only. Developed area closed. Emergency restrooms only.
- Manzanita Open for trail use only. Developed area closed. Emergency restrooms only.
- East GarrisonClosed (neighborhood parks within the EG Community)
- Fort Ord Open SpaceOpen for trail use only. No restrooms.
Guidelines for safe use of trails and social/physical distancing are posted at each park, users are asked to please follow guidelines for maintaining proper distancing on trails and in the parking areas. No gatherings are allowed within any park or parking area.
Please use the park closest to where you live. If you need to drive to one of these locations, please park in designated areas and not in nearby neighborhoods. Thank you for enjoying and supporting Monterey County Parks responsibly.