Advise the Board of Supervisors on appropriate economic development policies, programs and activities to ensure a Countywide perspective in support of a diversified economy, higher paying jobs and an expanded revenue base for local government services, while preserving and protecting the County’s agricultural, tourism and education economic base in collaboration with cities.
- Recommend an Economic Development Strategic Plan to the Board of Supervisors that can create greater economic opportunities and enhance the county’s overall prosperity.
- Assist the Board in setting economic development priorities that provide a strategic policy focus.
- Recommend an economic development program that grows jobs through:
- Business retention and expansion
- Growing new businesses
- Attracting businesses
- Identify and support collaborative efforts with local governmental agencies, non-profit organizations, and industry leaders to promote economic development activities that are compatible with the county’s vision to protect, preserve and enhance the region’s quality of life.
- Review and provide oversight in the distribution, funding and performance auditing of the Development Set-Aside Agencies:
- Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Arts Council for Monterey County
- Monterey County Film Commission
- Review and provide oversight in the funding and performance auditing of the Monterey County Business Council Competitive Clusters Initiatives.
- Review and provide oversight regarding the County’s participation in the Salinas Valley Enterprise Zone.
Meeting dates: TBD
Meeting location: TBD
Chair: Supervisor John M. Phillips, District 2 Supervisor Mary L. Adams, District 5
Agendas can be view here: https://monterey.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx
Economic Opportunity Committee 2013
Economic Opportunity Committee 2012
Economic Opportunity Committee 2011
Debby L. Bradshaw, Management Analyst
Monterey County Administrative Office
Intergovernmental and Legislative Affairs
168 West Alisal Street, 3rd Floor
Salinas, CA 93901
Phone: (831) 755-5390
Anita Nachor, Senior Secretary
County Administrative Office, Division of Housing and Economic Development
168 W. Alisal Street, 3rd Floor
Salinas, CA 93901