HOW DO I?
Beach Advisory Lifted: Monterey Municipal Beach, Monterey
Monterey Municipal Beach was posted with an advisory due to high indicator bacteria found in samples taken 8/12/2019. Follow up samples reveal that bacteria counts are at levels considered safe for recreational contact
8/15/2019 2:00:00 PM
Beach Advisory Lifted: Lovers Point Beach, Pacific Grove
Lovers Point Beach was posted with an advisory due to high indicator bacteria found in samples taken 8/12/2019. Follow up samples reveal that bacteria counts are at levels considered safe for recreational contact.
8/14/2019 2:52:00 PM
Monterey County Animal Services seeks information on injured husky in North County
On August 3rd, Monterey County Sheriff's Department responded to a call of an injured dog in a culvert in unincorporated Salinas. The dog, a male husky mix about 1 year old, appeared to be attached to a chain. Later it was discoverd a carabiner type clip was actually clipped through the dog's skin.
8/14/2019 1:55:12 PM
Published on March 04, 2019. Last modified on June 28, 2019
Assembly Bill 1884 (Single-Use Plastic Straws)
What is the new law regarding single-use plastic straws?
- Assembly Bill 1884 prohibits full-service restaurants in California from providing single-use plastic straws to the consumer unless requested by the consumer.
What are single-use plastic straws?
- Single-use plastic straw means a single-use, disposable tube made predominantly of plastic derived from either petroleum or a biologically based polymer, such as corn or other plant sources, used to transfer a beverage from a container to the mouth of the person drinking the beverage.
What is considered a full-service restaurant?
- A full-service restaurant is defined as a food facility at which all the following apply:
- The consumer is escorted or assigned to an eating area.
- Food and beverage orders are taken after the consumer has been seated.
- Food and beverages are delivered directly to the consumer.
- The check is delivered directly to the consumer in the dining area.
What are some alternative options that can be given to the consumer without prior request?
- Straw made from non-plastic materials, including, but not limited to:
- Sugar Cane
Can re-useable metal straws be used as an alternative?
- Yes, they can be used as long as they meet the requirements for utensils (California Retail Food Code Section 114130).
- Yes, any food facility owner can elect to stop providing straws, however, straws are often helpful to people with disabilities and keeping straws available upon request is highly recommended.
For more information regarding AB 1884—Single Use Plastic Straws, please contact our offices during normal business hours (831) 755-4508 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional ResourcesDownload FAQs here
Single Use Plastic Straw Ban at Full Service Restaurants