HOW DO I?
8:30 AMSyphilis Update
California Lawmakers Say Pot Taxes Must be Cut to Help an Industry 'On the Brink'
SACRAMENTO — California lawmakers on Friday revived a proposal to temporarily cut taxes on marijuana to boost a legal market that one official said is “on the brink of collapse,” drawing encouragement from Gov. Gavin Newsom as he seeks to overhaul state pot regulators. Read more...>>
1/17/2020 3:42:36 PM
JURY CONVICTS INMATE OF POSSESSING MULTIPLE WEAPONS INSIDE SALINAS VALLEY STATE PRISON
Monterey County District Attorney Jeannine M. Pacioni announced today that a Monterey County jury convicted David Player, 38, an inmate at the Salinas Valley State Prison, of two counts of possession of stabbing instruments while confined to the Salinas Valley State Prison.
1/17/2020 1:38:07 PM
ILLEGAL CANNABIS CULTIVATION RESULTS IN FELONY CONVICTION
Monterey County DA Jeannine M. Pacioni announced today that Tom Hays Gries, age 44, was sentenced for a cannabis cultivation operation discovered at his property in May 2018. Gries received a three-year probation sentence and was ordered to serve 150 days in jail.
1/17/2020 1:35:33 PM
Published on March 04, 2019. Last modified on September 09, 2019
Assembly Bill 1884 (Single-Use Plastic Straws)
What is the new law regarding single-use plastic straws?
- Assembly Bill 1884 prohibits full-service restaurants in California from providing single-use plastic straws to the consumer unless requested by the consumer.
What are single-use plastic straws?
- Single-use plastic straw means a single-use, disposable tube made predominantly of plastic derived from either petroleum or a biologically based polymer, such as corn or other plant sources, used to transfer a beverage from a container to the mouth of the person drinking the beverage.
What is considered a full-service restaurant?
- A full-service restaurant is defined as a food facility at which all the following apply:
- The consumer is escorted or assigned to an eating area.
- Food and beverage orders are taken after the consumer has been seated.
- Food and beverages are delivered directly to the consumer.
- The check is delivered directly to the consumer in the dining area.
What are some alternative options that can be given to the consumer without prior request?
- Straw made from non-plastic materials, including, but not limited to:
- Sugar Cane
Can re-useable metal straws be used as an alternative?
- Yes, they can be used as long as they meet the requirements for utensils (California Retail Food Code Section 114130).
- Yes, any food facility owner can elect to stop providing straws, however, straws are often helpful to people with disabilities and keeping straws available upon request is highly recommended.
For more information regarding AB 1884—Single Use Plastic Straws, please contact our offices during normal business hours (831) 755-4508 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional ResourcesDownload FAQs here
Single Use Plastic Straw Ban at Full Service Restaurants