HOW DO I?
9:00 AMCiclovia Salinas
10:00 AMPrescription Drug Take Back Day
Cannabis permit streamlining blessed by Monterey County Planning Commission
SALINAS — Looking to make it simpler and quicker for commercial cannabis operations to acquire a county use permit, Monterey County took a big step toward that end at the Planning Commission on Wednesday.
10/11/2018 4:27:25 PM
Ground Beef Recall
JBS Tolleson, Inc. has issued a recall for approximately 6,937,195 pounds of various raw, non-intact beef products that may be contaminated with Salmonella Newport. Consumers who have ground beef in their homes labeled with the establishment number “EST. 267” should contact the store where it was purchased to find out if it was recalled. Do not eat recalled ground beef. Return it to the store or throw it away.
Kitten Season Special
Monterey County Animal Services is bursting at the seams with kittens and cats. To help find them forever homes adoption fees have been reduced to $50 which includes spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations and microchip) If you want two the deal is even better! Two cats for $80.
Gold Seal Restaurant or Food Facility SearchInterested in seeing if a Restaurant or Food Facility has a Gold Seal? Click here to search!
What is the Gold Seal Program?
- A program developed by the Environmental Health Food Protection Program in collaboration with the food industry.
- A posting for Public Notification Inspection Seal for qualifying retail food facilities in compliance with state laws.
- Restaurants, food preparation facilities that have met rigid food safety standards.
- Awarded after a routine inspection has been conducted and with discretion of the inspector.
- Certain Criteria in Inspection Report must be met to qualify for seal.
- The program is voluntary for food facilities.
- Evaluation program rather than a grading system compared to other counties.
What is the purpose of the Gold Seal ProgramThe Gold Seal helps consumers identify facilities that meet or exceed health standards based on state laws. The seal is awarded to food operators for maintaining exceptional health and sanitation standards at the facility. It serves as a handy tool “eye opener” for public and food facility operators to be aware of education of food safety and food borne illnesses. It helps to promote:
- A sense of security to eat at the restaurant
- Food facilities to take immediate action on complaints
- Valuable feedback for public and food facilities.
- Involvement between customers and restaurants
- There is always room for improvement
How do restaurants obtain a Gold Seal?
If a facility has been determined to be in substantial compliance with the California Retail Food Code following a complete unannounced inspection conducted by a Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS), they may be eligible. The Inspector will then sign and date the Gold Seal and issue it to the facility. The seal will remain valid until the next inspection or based on the discretion of the inspector.
Inspection Report CriteriaSubstantial Compliance is the following:
- No major violations (red font) as listed on the inspection report filled out by the inspector
- No more than 5 other violations or at the discretion of the department.
- Supervision, Personal Cleanliness, General Food Safety Requirements
- Food Storage/Display/Service, Equipment/Utensils/Linens
- Physical Facilities: plumbing, garbage, toilet facilities
- Permanent Food Facilities: floors, walls and ceilings
- Signs Requirements/Compliance and Enforcement
Examples of Substantial Compliance with food standards at a facility.
- Holding temperatures within 5 F out of the temperature danger zone (41 F- 135 F) for potentially hazardous foods.
- Cooking temperatures meeting regulatory requirements
- Proper Employee Hygiene and food handling
What does a Gold Seal look like and what does it say?The Gold Seal shall have the date & signature of Inspector and be posted for public view. It states:
"This food facility was inspected by Monterey County Health Department Environmental Health Division and found to be in substantial compliance with California food safety and sanitation standards.”
Revocation of Gold Seal
The gold seal is withdrawn if any of the following occurs:
- If facility is determined not to be in substantial compliance with food standards, the seal will be withdrawn and will not be replaced until the facility is again determined to meet state laws.
- Due to non-compliance and the facility is ordered to close.
- If the facility’s permit is temporarily suspended or revoked due to an immediate danger to the public health.
- Only a REHS may remove the seal from a facility.
Questions and Answers
If you have any questions or need more information, you can call or visit any of our offices below:Monday – Friday 8 AM to 5 PM
1270 Natividad Road
Salinas, CA 93906
1200 Aguajito Road
Monterey, CA 93940
Telephone: (831) 647-7654
King City Office
620 Broadway St., Ste. 70
King City, CA 93930