HOW DO I?
11:00 AMCommunity Flu Clinic
2:00 AMDaylight Saving Time Ends
10:00 AMChinatown Block Party
Family and Food Safety First this Thanksgiving
Eating healthy this Thanksgiving begins with basic home food safety practices that are known to reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses. The Monterey County Health Department is reminding all cooks entering the kitchen this season to follow the Fight BAC!® basics of home food safety: Clean, Separate, Cook, and Chill.
11/16/2017 5:35:00 PM
Sixth Annual Adelante Con Orgullo Mujer Inmigrante (ACOMI) Conference
The sixth annual Adelante Con Orgullo Mujer Inmigrante (ACOMI) women’s health conference is being held Saturday, December 2nd from 9 am to 4 pm at Hartnell College. This free conference is specifically for Spanish-speaking immigrant women.
11/16/2017 3:46:59 PM
Safe Travels Via Salinas Grant to benefit 65+ population and Elementary Schools in Salinas
The Monterey County Health Department announced today that it has been awarded $130,000 as part of a Safe Travels Via Salinas grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety. This grant will bring pedestrian safety education to the 65+ population and bike education to schools in Salinas. The yearlong grant start date was on November 13, 2017 and will benefit three elementary schools in East Salinas – Bardin Elementary, Cesar E. Chavez, and Dr. Oscar F. Loya Elementary.
11/15/2017 3:54:00 PM
Source Capacity Testing Requirements
All wells that are proposed to supply water for domestic use or to be connected to a water distribution system shall first undergo a continuous source-capacity (pumping) test to determine the yield of the well. If you wish to use this test for a water system, new home, or a planning project such as a subdivision, the test shall be witnessed by the Drinking Water Protection Services.
- Review the Source Capacity Testing Procedures
- Hire a qualified contractor to conduct a test. Click here for a list of contractors that have conducted source capacity tests in Monterey County
- Submit the completed application by mail or in person to the address below
- Conduct the test
- Submit a report of finding to the Drinking Water Protection Services
Drinking Water Protection Services-Well Program
1270 Natividad Rd
Salinas, CA 93906
Water Quality Testing Requirements
All new single connection domestic wells are required to have the following tests conducted (See water system requirements for new water system well testing requirements):
- Inorganic Chemical Analysis: Aluminum, antimony, arsenic, asbestos, barium, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, chromium VI, cyanide, fluoride, mercury, nickel, nitrate (NO3), nitrite, (NO2), perchlorate, selenium, and thallium. Asbestos and cyanide may be waived if determined to not be vulnerable.
- Secondary Standards: Total dissolved solids, specific conductance, chloride, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, iron, manganese, carbonate, bicarbonate, hydroxide alkalinity, total hardness, MBAS, copper, zinc, silver, color, odor, turbidity, pH. MTBE and thiobencarb are also required, but may be waived if determined to not be vulnerable.
- Coliform Bacteria Analysis
Tests must be conducted by a California Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program Certified Laboratory.