Facebook logo Follow us on Twitter



Nationally Accredited for Providing Quality Health Services



Calendar Grid 553560

July 2020

Jul 2020

Calendar Grid 553560
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1



Hazardous Waste Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Published on July 06, 2017. Last modified on July 09, 2018

buckets of old paint stacked in a pile
You Tube
You Tube
You Tube
Website Feedback

Hazardous Waste Program

State and Federal laws to regulate the handling of hazardous waste were passed in the 1970s to protect the public health & safety and the environment from the improper disposal and dumping of these dangerous chemical wastes. The laws set up a cradle-to-grave waste management system to track hazardous wastes from the point of generation to their eventual disposal. The generator (creator) of the hazardous waste is responsible for determining whether their wastes are hazardous and for their safe handling and proper disposal. The local CUPA (Certified Unified Program Agency) which is the Monterey County Environmental Health Bureau, administers these state and federal hazardous waste laws.

Small quantity generators (SQGs) that generate less than 1000kg/month of hazardous waste must post the following information next to the telephone:

    The name and telephone number of the emergency coordinator;
  • The location of fire extinguishers and spill control material, and, if present fire alarm; and
  • The telephone number of the fire department, unless the facility has a direct alarm.

Hazardous Waste Facilities Required to prepare a Consolidated Contingency Plan

Title 22 California Code of Regulations (22 CCR) §66262.34(a) requires large quantity generators (LQGs) that generate 1,000 kilograms or more of hazardous waste per month, or accumulate more than 6,000 kilograms of hazardous waste on-site at any one time, prepare a Contingency Plan.

Facilities that generate in any month more than 1 kilogram of acutely hazardous waste (AHW), or more than 100 kilograms of debris resulting from the spill of an AHW, or which treat hazardous waste onsite under the Permit by Rule (PBR) onsite treatment tier must also prepare a Contingency Plan.

The California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) Consolidated Emergency Response/Contingency Plan has been prepared to:

  • Unify emergency response and contingency plan requirements for hazardous materials and hazardous wastes;
  • Provide for basic contingency planning for an average small to mid-size facility; and incorporate minimal regulatory requirements.
  • Other supplements or amendments may be required for facilities of exceptional size or having exceptional operations or processes that warrant additional contingency planning.

Forms and worksheets

Document Description

CUPA Downloadable Instructions

Health and Safety Code (HSC) §25504(b) requires that Hazardous Materials Business Plans (HMBP) contain Emergency Response Plans and Procedures in the event of a reportable release or threatened release of a hazardous material. HSC §25504(c) requires that HMBPs address training of employees in safety procedures in the event of a reportable or threatened release.

CUPA Downloadable Contingency Plan

Prior to completing this Plan, please refer to the INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING A CONSOLIDATED CONTINGENCY PLAN

Site Map with Instructions

Complete This Map and Use the “Upload Document” Feature in CERS to Complete Your HMBP for Electronic Submittal

Hazardous Waste Program FAQs

Hazardous Waste Program

A. Like a hazardous material, a hazardous waste is any waste that exhibits a hazardous characteristic such as flammability, toxicity, reactivity or corrosivity. For example, used motor oil is a hazardous waste because during use it collects heavy metals which are toxic. Spent paint thinner is hazardous because it is flammable. The inspectors here at the Hazardous Materials Management Service have extensive experience with hazardous wastes and can help guide you to making that determination.

A. Yes. If your business is classified as a small quantity hazardous waste generator you only need to report one time in CERS. Annual reporting is not required. Small quantity generators are those that generate less than 100 kilograms waste in a month. As a reference, 100 kg is equal to about half of a 55 gallon drum.

If you generate more than 100 kg in a 30-day period, generate an acutely hazardous waste or treat hazardous waste you must do a full submittal in CERS annually.
NOTE: Monterey County CUPAs deadline for submitting is December 31.

A. There are two locations within Monterey County where residence and businesses can dispose of hazardous waste (Businesses must call ahead to schedule appointments). In Salinas, wastes can be taken to the Sun Street Household Hazardous Waste Facility which is collocated with the Sun Street Transfer Station at 139 Sun Street in Salinas. Peninsula residence can drop off at Monterey Regional Waste Management at 14201 Del Monte Blvd in Marina.
NOTE TO BUSINESSES: Only small quantity hazardous waste generators can self-haul hazardous waste. Small quantity generators generate less than 100 kg (half a drum) of hazardous waste per month.

A. The answer is yes if two conditions are met. First, the can must not have held an acutely hazardous material listed on the RCRA P List at 40 CFR 261.33(e). Second, the can must be “RCRA Empty” meaning it must not contain more than 3% of its original content and the pressure in it must equal atmospheric pressure. Basically, the can must be empty. Furthermore, the can must then be punctured. There are many commercially available puncturing systems but whatever system you decide on extreme caution must be taken.

A. Yes but they must be drained of all “free flowing” oil. A dripping filter is not considered empty and cannot be recycled. If there is some sort of obstruction preventing the oil from draining, the obstruction must be removed or a hole drilled in the filter that will allow it to drain. Once drained, the typical metal car type oil filters cannot be stored in the same drum as paper only (nonmetal) oil filters or fuel filters.

A. Yes, and it’s free! Used motor oil can be taken to many retail automotive parts stores sponsored by Cal Recycle. To find a Certified Collection Center near you click HERE. Used motor oil can also be disposed of at:

A. Yes, and it’s free! Used paint in intact paint cans can be taken to any retail paint supply store that participates in the Paint Care program. To find a Paint Care Drop-Off Site near you click HERE. Paint can also be disposed of at:

A. There are two locations in Monterey County to dispose of pesticides. They are:

A. Electronic wastes include TVs, batteries, computers, fluorescent bulbs, mercury thermostats, smoke alarms, monitors and car batteries. There are two locations in Monterey County to dispose of pesticides. They are: