HOW DO I?
11:00 AMCommunity Flu Clinic
2:00 AMDaylight Saving Time Ends
10:00 AMChinatown Block Party
Family and Food Safety First this Thanksgiving
Eating healthy this Thanksgiving begins with basic home food safety practices that are known to reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses. The Monterey County Health Department is reminding all cooks entering the kitchen this season to follow the Fight BAC!® basics of home food safety: Clean, Separate, Cook, and Chill.
11/16/2017 5:35:00 PM
Sixth Annual Adelante Con Orgullo Mujer Inmigrante (ACOMI) Conference
The sixth annual Adelante Con Orgullo Mujer Inmigrante (ACOMI) women’s health conference is being held Saturday, December 2nd from 9 am to 4 pm at Hartnell College. This free conference is specifically for Spanish-speaking immigrant women.
11/16/2017 3:46:59 PM
Safe Travels Via Salinas Grant to benefit 65+ population and Elementary Schools in Salinas
The Monterey County Health Department announced today that it has been awarded $130,000 as part of a Safe Travels Via Salinas grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety. This grant will bring pedestrian safety education to the 65+ population and bike education to schools in Salinas. The yearlong grant start date was on November 13, 2017 and will benefit three elementary schools in East Salinas – Bardin Elementary, Cesar E. Chavez, and Dr. Oscar F. Loya Elementary.
11/15/2017 3:54:00 PM
Residents of Big Sur
- The Big Sur bridge will be open beginning this Friday, October 13 at 5pm. We will resume normal routes beginning the week of Monday, October 16.
- WM will not be servicing south of the landslide. Collection services will be provided to customers north of the landslide
6/13/17WM, Inc. has been sending trucks, including roll offs, on Fridays to service Big Sur. Please adhere to the guidance that this is for household waste and not bulky items such as appliances.
- Waste Management will be collecting trash from homes and businesses next Friday, June 9. WM is still operating on an every other week collection schedule.
- On 6/1/17 the dumpsters north of the bridge closure were emptied. WM, Inc. appreciates the residents that called them to let them know the dumpsters were full last week.
- There are two dumpsters located at Mill Creek and Vista Point. Each week one dumpster will be emptied. Coastal Roll Off is contracting with San Miguel Hauling Company to empty the dumpsters at Mill Creek and Vista Point.
- Credits are being offered to customers that have not received pick up from Waste Management. Please call Kristin Skromme at 831.796.2220 for more information.
Waste Management, Inc.’s update for Big Sur
- Waste Management does not have the driver availability to deliver the dumpster tomorrow, 5/10. Instead, we will deliver the 25 yard covered dumpster on Friday, May 12 to Mill Creek Rd. I apologize for the delay. We are entering our busy season and simply do not have enough drivers to deliver to Big Sur tomorrow.
- Coastal Rolloff will not be able to service the 40 yard dumpsters using Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. They have agreed to empty the 40 yard dumpsters once CalTrans opens up access at Mud Creek. If access is open this Friday, Coastal Rolloff will service one of the dumpsters.
Residential and Commercial Dumpsters
- This past Friday, May 5 Waste Management sent the commercial truck to collect from residents and businesses. We collected 15 tons of material. WM is on an every other week pick up schedule for residents and businesses. The next pick up day will be Friday, May 19.
The 2-40 yard dumpsters are provided and serviced by Coastal Rolloff. Coastal Rolloff accesses the dumpsters from northbound Hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo. With the newest landslide occurring last week, Coastal was not able to empty the 40 yard Mill Creek dumpster on Friday, May 5. Coastal is only able to service 1-40 yard each Friday due to their driver availability.
The 40 yard dumpsters are located at Mill Creek and Vista Point. Both dumpsters are completely full. The dumpsters are getting abused in the sense that they are being overfilled, litter is left behind, and bulky items are being dropped into the containers. The dumpsters are strictly for the use of residential trash.
- Friday, May 5th, Waste Management, Inc. will service all customers south of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge. One dumpster [owned by Coastal Rolloff] south of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge will also be emptied. Please note there have been reports of another slide [address 64955 Hwy 1] and those customers in proximity may not be serviced due to conditions/access.
- The 40 yard dumpster at Vista Point will be emptied Friday, April 28th.
- Businesses and residents north of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge will be serviced on schedule with no delays.
- Businesses and residents south of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge will have their material picked up every other week on Friday. The next pick up day is tomorrow, April 21.
- Roll off dumpsters are placed north and south of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge and are available to be used by residents and businesses. On Friday, April 21 WM, Inc. will be sending another covered 40 yard roll off box south of the road closure.
- Credit adjustments are available to businesses and residents south of the road closure. Please feel free to have residents contact Kristin Skromme (firstname.lastname@example.org 831-796-2220) to process their adjustment.
Last week WM was able to service commercial businesses on Friday, April 7 successfully. Next pick up date will be Friday, April 21
There are two large dumpsters north of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge available to residents. Waste Management emptied 1-30 yard dumpster on 4/3/2017 and plan to empty the second 30 yard dumpster today 4/4/2017.
Waste Management trash and recycle trucks will be servicing residents and businesses north of the bridge Monday – Thursday each week.
Waste Management is currently servicing north of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge at regular schedule and south of Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge every other Friday. Next service day south of the down bridge will be April 7th.