Facebook logo 





June 2017 Jun 2017
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 1



FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions



Recycling and Resource Recovery Services implements and promotes recycling and waste reduction programs throughout the unincorporated areas of Monterey County.  We facilitate waste diversion efforts by providing technical assistance, resources, and educational materials. 

 These are some of the most-frequently asked questions about our recycling services.  (Be sure to check Related Articles at the bottom of the screen too!)

General FAQs

A: Refer to this website’s Waste & Recycling Haulers list for contact information.

A. You can put clean glass, plastics (#1-7), cans, paper, cardboard and other recyclable materials in your curbside recycling bin.

A.You may qualify if:

  • The property is either undeveloped or vacant, or
  • All solid waste produced on the property is recycled or composted, or
  • The property has a long, narrow, or steep driveway where garbage/recycling collection equipment is unable to properly and safely
  • operate.

A.To apply you must complete and submit the Mandatory Garbage Exemption Application along with any applicable fees.

Recycling Oil

A.There are several ways to recycle used oil and filters. You can drop off the oil and filters yourself at any of the participating drop off centers in Monterey County. Another option is curbside collection through your local garbage and recycling hauler.

A. There are used oil and filter collection centers located in the Monterey, Santa Cruz, and Moss Landing harbors. For more information please contact the Monterey County Health Department at (831) 755-4505 or 1-800-CLEANUP.

A. There are free agricultural oil and filter drop off sites in Salinas, Hollister, King City and Santa Cruz for growers that produce 27 gallons or less of used motor oil per month and a 55 gallon drum or less of used oil filters every 6 months. Please contact each site to make an appointment.

Recycling Solid Waste

Refer to our Reduce, Reuse & Recycle and Business & Commercial Reuse and Recycling guides for more information on your recycling needs.

A. Yes, we have brochures, flyers and pamphlets for distribution. Contact us at (831) 755-4505 for more information.

A. Look under “Recycling Centers” in our Reduce, Reuse & Recycle guide. Please call the centers to verify hours of operation.

Recycling at Special Events

A temporary food facility is a food facility operating out of temporary facilities, such as at a fair, a farmer’s market or at a street festival. The temporary food facility is at a fixed location for the duration of the approved community event. Temporary food facilities must be permitted by Environmental Health.

A. Yes. When food is served to the general public, whether sold or given away, a permit is required.

A. Yes. A Temporary Food Facility Permit Application is also available on the Environmental Health website or you may download a copy here: Temp Food Application Packet.

A. Yes. A Temporary Food Facility Permit Application for Event Organizer is also available on the Environmental Health website

It is important to note that the application and fees for this type of permit must be submitted prior to the event. The permit will be issued at the event at the time of the onsite inspection. An annual (fiscal year) temporary health permit is available upon request that can be used for multiple special events throughout Monterey County.

A. Yes. If you only have prepackaged or non perishable food items you may have one side open.

A. A BBQ or any large flame cooking device. Check with your local fire department for more information. If the local fire department requires the equipment to be outside the booth, then we will allow it.

A. Two weeks prior to the event.

Recycling & Green Business

All public swimming pools and spas are required to have a permit to operate issued by Environmental Health. (Private residential pools and spas are those which are intended for non-commercial use and are not used by more than three owner families and their guests. Private residential pools meeting this requirement do not require a permit from Environmental Health to operate.)

A. Yes. Environmental Health must receive and review plans before any construction, remodeling or alteration of a public swimming pool or spa can begin. Fees vary depending on the type of pool or spa. Please see Environmental Health’s current fee schedule. Note that contact with the local Building Department is also essential since a Building Permit may be required.

A.Yes. Enclosures and gates for public swimming pools and spas must meet specific criteria in order to provide maximum protection for people, especially small children. Note that contact with the local Building Department is also essential since a Building Permit may be required.

A.Your inspector is enforcing California State law. Both the California Health and Safety Code and the California Code of Regulations have sections concerning the design and operation of public swimming pools.

Recycling In Monterey County Offices

The primary causes of lead poisoning in children are lead dust contamination from older deteriorating paint and dry sanding or scraping of intact paint during repainting or remodeling.

Have a question that was not answered here?