HOW DO I?
CalEPA Unified Program Surcharges
The proposed Unified Program Oversight, Underground Storage Tank and Refinery Safety surcharge amounts will become effective in May 2017, and shall be assessed and collected during the 2017/2018 fiscal year.
4/28/2017 4:31:55 PM
Annual Quarantine of Sport-Harvested Mussels Begins May 1
The quarantine begins May 1 and applies to all species of mussels that are recreationally harvested along the California coast, including all bays and estuaries. The quarantine is in place to protect the public against poisoning that can lead to serious illness, including coma and death.
Low Cost Vaccination and Microchip Clinic
Monterey County Animal Services is hosting a Low-Cost Vaccine and Microchip Clinic on Sunday, May 14th from 10 am to 2 pm at the North Monterey County Recreation Park Facility in Castroville. This event is a great opportunity to take steps to keep your pet healthy and safe.
4/26/2017 4:44:00 PM
Policies & Procedures for RRRS
- AB 939 - requires local jurisdictions to meet 50% waste diversion mandate
- AB 341 - requires commercial businesses to implement recycling
- AB2176 - (AB 2176, Montanez, Chapter 879, Statutes of 2004), the large venues and large events recycling law, requires large venue facilities and large events (as defined by Public Resources Code 42648 (b) and (c)) in each city and county to plan for solid waste reduction and upon request, report information regarding their waste reduction efforts to their local jurisdiction.
- AB 2176 Definitions – Definitions for AB 2176 from CalRecycle
Several resources are available to help event organizers implement a waste diversion plan, such as:
- Special Events Recycling Manual (Coming Soon!)
- Sample Diversion Plan
Mandatory Garbage Exemption
It is the law to have garbage disposal service! Having proper service helps from contamination of hazardous, disease causing materials from entering our environment and waterways. There is ONLY 3 criteria in which a residential or commercial property would qualify for an exemption:
Monterey County Mandatory Garbage Ordinance
10.41.030 Mandatory Collection
Please click on the images to the right to obtain a Mandatory Garbage Exemption Application. You may submit the application via mail or email to:
Monterey County Recycling
Services 1270 Natividad Rd.
Salinas, CA 93906
Mandatory Organics Recycling - AB1826
Did you know that starting April 1, 2016 business that generate 8 cubic yards of organic waste needed to sign up for organic waste recycling service?
Did you know starting January 1, 2017 the total amount generated reduced to 4 cubic yards?
Did you know starting January 1, 2019 businesses that generate 4 cubic yards or more of commercial solid waste per week must arrange for organic waste recycling services? For more information, visit our page all about Organics Recycling.
BYOB (Bring Your Own Bag!)
Click on the following picture for more information:
Illegal Dumping Ordinance
Illegal dumping is a serious offense and is in violation of California Law and the Monterey County Code. Penalties for first offenses range from $250.00 - $1,000.00 per offense.
Also listed on the Solid Waste Webpage is information on:
Chapter 10.42 of the Monterey County Code of Ordinances regulates and limits the use of polystyrene foam food packaging by retail food providers in the unincorporated area of Monterey County. The ordinance protects the environment, reduces solid waste, and decreases litter throughout the unincorporated County by reducing the use of polystyrene foam food packaging.
- Food Providers shall not dispense Prepared Food in any Disposable Food Service Ware that contains Polystyrene Foam or otherwise sell, hand out, give away, or distribute or other make available for public or customer use any Disposable Food Service Ware that contains Polystyrene Foam, unless exempted by this Chapter.
- To allow Food Service Providers an opportunity to use remaining stocks of Food Packaging, Food Providers shall have three hundred and sixty-five (365) days from the Effective Date to comply with the regulations of this Chapter. During the 365-day period, is shall be the policy of the County to encourage voluntary adherence to the requirements of this Chapter. After the three hundred and sixty-five (365) days
- Packaging for raw uncooked meat, poultry, fish, or eggs (unless provided for consumption without further food preparation)
- Prepared foods made or packaged outside the unincorporated county, but sold in the unincorporated areas
- Polystyrene foam coolers and ice chests
- Emergency relief efforts