HOW DO I?
CalEPA Unified Program Surcharges
The proposed Unified Program Oversight, Underground Storage Tank and Refinery Safety surcharge amounts will become effective in May 2017, and shall be assessed and collected during the 2017/2018 fiscal year.
4/28/2017 4:31:55 PM
Annual Quarantine of Sport-Harvested Mussels Begins May 1
The quarantine begins May 1 and applies to all species of mussels that are recreationally harvested along the California coast, including all bays and estuaries. The quarantine is in place to protect the public against poisoning that can lead to serious illness, including coma and death.
Low Cost Vaccination and Microchip Clinic
Monterey County Animal Services is hosting a Low-Cost Vaccine and Microchip Clinic on Sunday, May 14th from 10 am to 2 pm at the North Monterey County Recreation Park Facility in Castroville. This event is a great opportunity to take steps to keep your pet healthy and safe.
4/26/2017 4:44:00 PM
Special Events Waste Diversion for Monterey County
Each year, Monterey County hosts a number of events that draw large crowds from all over the world, including the world famous MotoGP and Sea Otter Classic. Recycling Services requires that all special events submit a diversion plan.
Recycling Services assists event organizers to develop and implement their diversion plans to ensure the proper disposal of waste and to maximize the recycling of materials used at these events. The team also collaborates with Monterey County Parks Department, the hauler, custodial services, event volunteers, event organizers, vendors, attendees, and other staff to identify ways to increase diversion at special events.
A large event is defined as:
- Serves an average of more than 2,000 individuals per day of operation, and
- Charges an admission price or is run by a local agency.
To find an upcoming special event, please visit Monterey County Parks Department Event Calendar:
(click on image to visit site)
Policies and Procedures
- AB 939- requires local jurisdictions to meet 50% waste diversion mandate
- AB 341- requires commercial businesses to implement recycling
- AB2176- (AB 2176, Montanez, Chapter 879, Statutes of 2004), the large venues and large events recycling law, requires large venue facilities and large events (as defined by Public Resources Code 42648 (b) and (c)) in each city and county to plan for solid waste reduction and upon request, report information regarding their waste reduction efforts to their local jurisdiction
- Special Events Recycling Manual (Coming Soon!)
- Sample Diversion Plan