HOW DO I?
Monterey County Declares Hepatitis A Outbreak Among Homeless Population
Since early 2017, the San Diego and Santa Cruz County Health Departments have been investigating local hepatitis A outbreaks among individuals who are homeless or use illicit drugs. Unfortunately, disease levels in Monterey County have now reached outbreak levels. Since October 2017, hepatitis A has been diagnosed in 9 individuals with a history of homeless in Monterey County. These individuals did not travel outside of Monterey County so are assumed to have become ill due to transmission within the homeless and illegal drug use communities in Monterey County.
2/5/2018 4:46:00 PM
UPDATE: Request for information about illegal hazardous waste dump
Since the initial reporting of the illegally disposed hazardous waste barrels on January 17th, 2018, the Monterey County Health Department has identified four disposal locations within the county. 58 barrels have been found.Thanks to calls we received from the public, we are aware that there may be as many as 70 barrels total disposed.
1/19/2018 3:07:00 PM
Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) Annual Update Communitiy Meeting
Monterey County Behavioral Health will be hosting regional meetings to present an update on the Mental Health Services Act and get community feedback and input regarding some current and future MHSA activities.
2/23/2018 3:28:00 PM
Disposal Coupon Program
Coupon authorizes the free disposal of materials collected and delivered to the Monterey Peninsula Landfill (Marina), Johnson Canyon Landfill (Gonzales), Sun St. Transfer Station (Salinas), or Jolon Road Transfer Station (King City) during normal facility operating hours. The coupon is valid for one load only
For more information contact the Monterey County Health Department at (831)755-4505.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
The rules and regulations below are excerpts from the Clean Up Coordinator packet for the Disposal Coupon Program.
- Coupons can only be used for the following purposes:
- Public area community clean up events organized by non-profit organizations
- Illegal dump sites in Monterey County
- Each coupon may only be used for one (1) pickup truck/car load or trailer.
- Coupons expire 15 days after date of issue.
- Coupon recipients are limited to a maximum of 2 coupons per clean up site/event.
- All coupon recipients must abide by any applicable flow control provisions of the respective solid waste Joint Power Agencies (JPA).
- All coupon recipients must not infringe upon the franchise rights of any solid waste hauler.
- Areas served by the “Adopt-A-Highway” or “Adopt-A-Road” are not eligible for disposal coupon(s).
- Recipients of disposal coupons must redeem coupon(s) at scale houses
- Recipients must adhere to covering/tarping requirements.
- Recipients must complete the back side of the disposal coupon form including:
- Signature of authorized representative accepting provisions of legal statement
- Printed name of individual or organization
- Address of individual or organization
- Contact name of individual or organization
- Phone number, including area code, of contact
- Identification information, either driver’s license or other government issued, of contact
- License plate number of vehicle used to transport waste to disposal site
- Recipient must surrender coupon to scale house attendant at time of redemption