HOW DO I?
9:00 AMmyAvatar Training
Published on November 09, 2016. Last modified on July 03, 2019
Partner Services (PS) is a term that describes a service for sexually transmitted disease (STD)/human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) partner notification or contact tracing. PS includes working with individuals infected with STDs/HIV to identify their sexual and needle-sharing partners, locate those partners, notify them of their exposure, and offer them the appropriate counseling and follow-up referrals.
PS is a prevention service coordinated by the Monterey County Health Department’s Division of Communicable Disease Prevention and Control. Health Department PS staff work in conjunction with medical providers, community-based organizations (CBOs) as well as the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) to provide support and referral services to individuals who have been infected with, or exposure to, STDs and/or HIV.
Services for Medical Providers
The Health Department offers the following types of partner notification services to local medical providers for qualifying incidents:
- Dual Disclosure (original patient notifies partner(s) in the presence of PS staff after coaching)
- Anonymous Third Party Notification (original patient not involved and identify not disclosed)
The Health Department’s ability to provide PS is dependent on available resources.
How to Refer an Individual for PS
To refer an individual for PS, the referring medical provider must complete the following steps:
- Confirm the patient’s diagnosis via laboratory testing.
- Obtain information about the exposure and partner(s) from the original patient.
- Complete the MCHD_Referral_STDPartnerServices_11052012. One form should be submitted for each partner.
- Fax the completed referral form(s) to the Monterey County Health Department Communicable Disease Unit at 831-754-6682.
For More Information
For more information about partner services, contact Angela Cook, Supervising Public Health Nurse, at 831-755-4587 or CookAP@co.monterey.ca.us.
Follow us on Social Media!
Facebook: MCHD STD & HIV Prevention