Book Club to Go (BC2G) is a program dedicated to encouraging the development and success of book clubs in Monterey County. BC2G bags include ten copies of the book, one set of discussion questions, one set of discussion leader tips, and one sign-out sheet. They can be checked out for six weeks.
Monterey County Free Libraries (MCFL) started it in 2008 and currently offers many bags with books, fiction and non-fiction, in English and Spanish. Read about us on LitLovers. In 2019 Salinas Public Library (SPL) established Book Club Express service and in May both libraries started a Pilot Partnership to combine our resources.
Some bags are located at Seaside Branch Library of MCFL and some at John Steinbeck Library of SPL. Cardholders of both library systems can checkout and reserve bags for up to one year in advance. SPL and MCFL cards are free and available to all. To apply for a MCFL card use online form. To apply for a SPL card, please visit any of the SPL Branches.
See the whole collection of bags under TITLE LIST
Access from home using your MCFL library card number
Not every book is for every book club. Please read the book before reserving it for your group. If you need a recommendation, ask your librarian for help.
Request a Bag
- MCFL cardholders can reserve bags by calling us at (831) 899-2055, or by email at:firstname.lastname@example.org or by filling email@example.com
- Patrons who have both library cards have a choice of using any of the above methods of contacting us. Rule of thumb: for bags located at MCFL it is easier and faster to reserve them at MCFL, for bags located at SPL it is easier and faster to reserve them at SPL.
- Check the bags location at TITLE LIST.
Check-out a Bag
- Each bag will be checked out on the library card of the person who reserves it. That person is responsible for the bag and all of it contents.
- To check out a bag at any of MCFL branches please bring your MCFL card.
- To check out a bag at SPL please bring your SPL card.
- Bags must be checked out as a whole; individual contents cannot be checked out separately.
- Bags will be checked out for a period of six weeks.
- A bag may be renewed provided no other group has a hold on it. To renew a bag, or to cancel a hold please contact us directly.
Return a Bag
- Please check to make sure all of the contents are present before returning a bag. If your group loses or damages a book you have two options: replace it with another copy of the book that is the same edition and in good condition or pay the replacement fee for the book ($15).
- Replacement fees for an entire bag including its contents are $150.
- Bags must be returned by the date they are due. Overdue bags will incur a fee of 25 cents per day.
- Bags with missing contents will also incur a fee of 25 cents per day until the missing items are returned.
- Bags checked out at any branch of MCFL can be returned at any branch of MCFL. Bags checked out at SPL can be returned to any branch of SPL.
- Bags must be returned to a library staff member during open hours. They cannot be placed in the book drop.