To serve the needs of the many adults in Monterey County with limited literacy skills, the Monterey County Free Libraries Adult Literacy Program offers one-on-one, confidential, student centered, literacy tutoring to English speaking adults. We're asking that you consider the personal advantages of becoming a tutor in this program.
For more information on becoming a Volunteer Tutor:
Call 831 883-7597
Email our literacy program staff (HoeffelS@co.monterey.ca.us)
Download our Tutor Interest Form and return it to any MCFL Branch
or mail it to:
Read with MCFL
188 Seaside Circle, Marina CA 93933.
When you volunteer to be a tutor, you help another person work to realize his or her personal potential. You help free that person from the frustrations and limitations that often accompany inadequate literacy skills. You work with someone who has unique gifts and special qualities from whom you will learn a great deal, too. You acquire new skills. You meet other tutors and share ideas and experiences with them.
What commitments do tutors make?
- To tutor in the program for a minimum of six months
- To volunteer two hours per week (not including lesson preparation or driving time)
- A training/orientation
- Keep the literacy program informed of any changes in your tutoring schedule
- To tutor at a local County Library (Seaside, Marina, King City, etc.)
What are the literacy needs in Monterey County?
- 25% of the adult population reads below the 4th grade level.
- 24% reads below the 8th grade level.
- 43% of the people with the lowest literacy skills live in poverty.
- 70% have no full or part-time job.
Who are the adult literacy program learners in Monterey County?
- They are residents of Monterey County, many of them foreign born.
What are typical learner goals?
- Prepare for a better job
- Obtain a GED and / High School Diploma
- Be able to read to a child
- Increase self-esteem
- Obtain employment certification
- Become a certified nurse's assistant
- Be able to read religious materials
- Become a U.S. citizen
Volunteer at you local branch!
- Shelve books
- Put on a program
- Help out with events
- And much more!
For more information, visit your local MCFL branch.