Local History Collection
Historical Photograph Collection
Historical photographs of Monterey County and central coast places, pamphlets, papers and maps are located at the Library Administrative Office in Marina.Some photographs have been digitally reproduced and are available online.
To view these images and additional materials in person, call: (831) 883-7512 to make an appointment.
Digital copies without watermarks are available for a usage fee: $20 per image(personal/nonprofit use), $35 per image (commercial use). For information about ordering digital copies, call (831) 883-7512. If you wish to pay for your own digital copy, please submit a Digital Image Request form.
Other Monterey County Local History Resources:
Monterey County Local History Directory of Archives and Resources A descriptive list of local archives.
Recommended Websites with Monterey County Local History Collections:
Search these resources by local place name, name of a person,etc. For example search for "Monterey county ca". You will be delighted to see the extensive collections on Monterey County that are available to you online, many for free. Need assistance searching these resources? Please contact our reference librarians for basic help.
- Online Archive of California
- California Revealed
- California State Library, including the Sutro Library
- Digital Public Library of America
- Library of Congress Digital Archive
Local History Donations to Monterey County Free Libraries:
We are happy to consider donations to our, Monterey County focused, local history archive for preservation and sharing. We can also help direct you to other local historical archives.Please contact us at 831 883-7512 for more information.
Additional resources funded by the California State Library:
Archives Unbound topically-focused digital collections of historical documents that support the research and study needs of scholars and students at the college and university level. Collections in Archives Unbound cover a broad range of topics from the Middle Ages forward-from Witchcraft to World War II to twentieth-century political history.
New York Times daily edition and archives going back to 1851.
For library access register with your email.
For home access follow instruction to redeem your code for 24 hours.
To browse New York Times Archives:
- Once you are in the New York Times online version (desktop):
- Click the Menu symbol (three horizontal lines) in the upper left corner
- Click on “More” at the bottom of the list
- Click on “Tools and Services”
- Scroll to the bottom of “Tools and Services” to select “TimesMachine”
- Click “View in TimesMachine” at the bottom or “See Full Index” on the lower left side for accessing the Search capabilities.