Our Mission Statement:
The Monterey County Military & Veterans Affairs Office (MVAO) provides advocacy, assistance and services designed to enhance the lives of the County's veterans who served their country in the Armed Forces, their families, and their survivors. We assist in obtaining entitlements and services from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), U.S. Department of Defense, California Department of Veterans Affairs (CDVA), and local programs for eligible veterans and their families.
Monterey County Military & Veterans Affair's employees are dedicated to providing these services in a customer friendly environment with quality second to none.
Veterans Benefits and Services:
The Office of Military & Veterans Affairs provides these services and helps with the following benefits:
- Comprehensive benefits counseling
- Claims preparation and submission
- Claims follow-up to ensure final decisions are fully adjudicated
- Initiate and develop appeals when appropriate
- Networking and advocacy with federal, state and local agencies
Information and referral for the following:
- Public assistance
- Veterans Affairs medical / health care
- Homeless and At-Risk of Becoming homeless
- Service Treatment Records requests for claim processing
- Certification of discharge papers (DD-214) for filing claims with the VA.
Assistance offered in filing for the following benefits:
- Compensation (service-related injuries or disease).
- Re-open compensation claims for increase or re-evaluation.
- Survivors and Widow Benefits
- Nonservice-connected pension (for war era veterans only).
- Admission to the State Veterans Homes of California (California Department of Veterans Affairs).
- Request for military records and decorations.
- Discharge upgrade and correction of military records.
- Vocational Rehabilitation.
- VA home loan guarantee eligibility.
- VA and California State education benefits
- Disability life insurance and waiver of premiums
- Payment of proceeds of VA life insurance.
- Medical care/dental care at VA facilities.
- Cal-Vet Home Loans.
- Assist veterans and their survivors with in Aid and Attendance