Resource Management Agency
1441 Schilling Place
Salinas, CA 93901
Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information on this website and all its documents, users are advised to contact applicable County Resource Management Agency staff before making project decisions and fee estimates.
Disclaimer: Preparation of this pilot program does not authorize any new commercial cannabis uses or activities at this time. Anyone caught engaging in commercial cannabis activities without the required permits will be subject to enforcement and could be disqualified from permitting in the future.
- Personal Cannabis Cultivation
- Commercial Cannabis Regulations
- Outdoor Cannabis Cultivation Pilot Program
- Industrial Hemp Pilot Program
- Forms and Applications
- Memorandums and Interpretations
- Taxes and Business Licenses
Chapter 7.95 of the Monterey County Code requires an annual permit for the personal cultivation of cannabis by any qualified patient or primary caregiver. Personal cultivation may not exceed 100 square feet of canopy area on any one parcel. To obtain a permit for personal cultivation, an applicant must submit an application with the following information:
- Contact information (phone, email, and mailing address);
- A 24 hour or nighttime contact phone number;
- Written proof that the applicant is 18 years old or older;
- A site map showing the location, size, and setback from property lines of the cultivation on the property including the Assessor’s Parcel Number;
- Evidence of ownership of the parcel or permission to cultivate on the parcel from the property owner; and
- Evidence demonstrating where the cultivation is to occur, including information that the cultivation will take place in an area 100 square feet total canopy area or less, and will not exceed 10 feet in height (note: plants shall not be visible from off-site and should be located within a lockable fenced area or enclosed accessory structure on the site).
Annual renewal of the Personal Medical Cannabis Permit is free provided there are no changes or violations from the previous year. The State does not require a permit for personal medical cultivation. With the adoption of Proposition 64 (Adult Use of Marijuana Act), up to 6 plants may be grown for personal use. The County may subsequently adopt policies for personal recreational/adult use cannabis cultivation under the new state law.
Please Note: Monterey County will comply with all relevant laws regarding public records and protection of sensitive information.
- Inland Zoning Regulations (Title 21, Chapter 21.69)
- Draft Coastal Zoning Regulations (Title 20, Chapter 20.69) – Pending Coastal Commission Certification
- Maps (Coming Soon)
- Memorandum: Status of Commercial Cannabis Operations in Monterey County - Permitting, Enforcement and Tax Reporting (6/29/18)
- Memo: Initial Commercial Cannabis Business Permit Application
- Memo - Temporary State Licensing, Local Authorization, and the County's New Regulations (12/13/17)
- Memo – Cannabis Permit Process Update (8/23/17)
- Memo – Cannabis Permit Process Update (6/30/17)
- Memo - Cannabis Permit Process Update (2/27/17)