Resource Management Agency
1441 Schilling Place
Salinas, CA 93901
Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information on this website and all its documents, users are advised to contact applicable County Resource Management Agency staff before making project decisions and fee estimates.
... SAFETY CONSCIOUSNESS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH WHEN RETURNING TO A FLOOD STRICKEN AREA...
Now that flood waters are receding in some areas, and cleanup procedures begin, safety consciousness is essential; a matter of life and death.
Some Post Flood Rules:
- Do not use fresh food that has come in contact with flood waters.
- Boil drinking water before using. Wells should be pumped out and the water tested for purity before using.
- Seek necessary medical care at the nearest hospital. Food, clothing, shelter and first aid are available at the Red Cross shelters.
- Do not visit disaster areas. Your presence may hamper rescue and other emergency operations.
- Do not handle live electrical equipment in wet areas. Electrical equipment should be checked and dried before being returning to service.
- Use flashlights, not lanterns or torches to examine buildings. Flammable gases or other substances may have built up inside.
- Report broken utility lines to appropriate authorities.
- Do not attempt to cross a flowing stream where water is above your knees of any depth if the stream is moving at high velocity or the depth is not obvious.
- Do not attempt to drive over a flooded road. You can be stranded of trapped if your car stalls.
- Also, the depth of the water is not always obvious.
- Remember to use common sense and think safety.