Resource Management Agency Seal

Resource Management Agency

Building Services

Building Services
Ph: (831) 755-4800
Fax: (831) 757-9516
1441 Schilling Place
2nd Floor -South
Salinas, Ca 93901

Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information on this website and all its documents, users are advised to contact applicable County Resource Management Agency staff before making project decisions and fee estimates.

A construction permit issued by Building Services Department is required to commence construction. A building permit will be issued to:

  • A property owner, for work conducted on a single-family residence or duplex residence.
  • A licensed contractor.
  • A non-resident property owner or a single family or commercial property.

Types of Construction Permits:
There are five common types of construction permits:

  1. Building Permit - To construct or modify a building or structure.
  2. Electrical Permit - To install or modify electrical system.
  3. Mechanical Permit - To install or modify heating, ventilation, refrigeration, air conditioning or other related systems.
  4. Plumbing Permit - To install or modify a plumbing system.
  5. Combination Building Permit - A combined building, electrical, mechanical and plumbing work permit.

Most major projects that are approved through the discretionary permit process require issuance of a construction permit. A construction permit is required to ensure that minimum safety and occupancy standards are observed.

Construction permits are issued by the Building Services Department. Some permits can be issued directly at the Permit Center Counter. However, in some circumstances or for more complex permit requests, additional time is required to review and approve a permit application.

The cost for obtaining a construction permit is based on the current fee schedule.  Any questions please contact the permit center staff.

When Construction Permit are not required:
Minor building/structural alterations or construction that is limited in size and/or use may be allowed without issuance of a construction permit. Some examples of structures that do not require issuance of a construction permit include:

  • Retaining walls or planter boxes that do not exceed district height standards.
  • Fences of less than 6 feet.
  • Construction of small storage sheds.
  • Replacement of roofing that does not exceed an area of 120 feet.
  • Installation of ceramic tile on floors and countertops.

For a more complete list of exemptions, contact a Building Inspector or Permits Center representative.

Required Plans: