Resource Management Agency Seal

Resource Management Agency

Public Works & Facilities

Public Works
1441 Schilling Place
Salinas, CA 93901
(831) 755-4800
(831) 755-4958

Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information on this website and all its documents, users are advised to contact applicable County Resource Management Agency staff before making project decisions and fee estimates.

Development Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Development Services Division of Public Works is responsible for ensuring that new development projects comply with applicable regulations and provide the necessary public infrastructure including, but not limited to:

  • Streets
  • Sidewalks
  • Storm and sanitary sewers
  • Traffic improvements

In addition to reviewing, approving and inspecting the public infrastructure necessary for new development, our division is also responsible for the following:

  • County Surveyor/Map Processing
  • Encroachment Permits
  • Extra-Legal Load Permits
  • Sewer Connection Permits
  • House Numbering/Addressing

Development Services

Development Services/County Surveyor provides engineering review of major and minor subdivisions, improvement plans, surveys, and processing of final maps and parcel maps in accordance with the Subdivision Map Act, the Land Surveyors Act, and local ordinances. Review of related California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) documentation is a significant element of this process. County Surveyor is the direct interface with the public for researching Land Map Records and the road-naming and house-numbering system.

Services provided by Public Works may be subject to a fee. Public Works fees also may be associated with Building and Planning Permits - these fees are included in the Permit Application fee.  The current Fee Schedule is available on the RMA-Planning Department's webpage under "Current Land Use Fees"

Traffic Mitigation fees may be required from new development projects. Traffic mitigation fees vary depending on the area of the County and are adjusted annually. Traffic mitigation fees related to Building and Planning Permits can be paid at the Building Department during the building permit process.



Encroachment Permits

The Encroachment Services Section processes and issues permits to the public and/or other agencies for the performance of work on County roads right-of-way. Encroachments may include structures, facilities, and objects of any kind placed in, on, under, or over any County highway. Work includes utilities projects that involve excavation or trenching; street improvement projects; and tree trimming, removal, and planting within the County right-of-way.

The Encroachment Services Section also:

  • Issues Special Events and Film/Video permits
  • Processes and issues Franchise Agreements and Blanket permits to Public utilities companies
  • Conducts construction inspection
  • Supports plan checking on Building permit applications.
  • Conducts engineering plan review for minor and major subdivision projects involving drainage, new or re-construction of drive approaches, and improvements on County right-of-way
  • Oversees any issues that arises within the County right-of-way such as illegal signs, refuse, sediments, erosion, etc., and interface with the general public and other departments and agencies related to these issues.


Transportation Permits

Transportation Permits are required for transporting extra legal loads over County roads.  Single trip and annual permits are available through our Encroachments section.  For permits and information, please contact our transportation permit agent at (831) 755-4932.


Sewer Connection Permits (Special Districts)

Some areas of the County are serviced through public sewers. More information on the areas serviced, the process for connection, and the cost can be obtained by contacting our office at (831) 755-4800 and requesting a referral to the Public Works - County Service Areas & County Sanitation Districts Division.


House Numbering

Street address requests should be made at (831) 755-4800.  Please have your assessors parcel number and road name available. The form can be accessed on our Web site.


Section Staff and Contacts

Chad S. Alinio, P.E., Civil Engineer
Phone: (831) 755-4937 Email: